Some Old Before and After

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I've been slacking on photos of work, usually it's for someone else and I just jump in and get it done but I'll try better to document future refurbs as I like seeing them from others too. For now here's some old stuff I found pictures of.

Grabow Starfire

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

KW Allbriar

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Charatan Special

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Barling Meer

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Every single one a jaw dropper. Nice work as always.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 pm Charatan Special

One thing I've always wondered, since I tend to avoid pipes that need significant patches like this - I am assuming you used black super glue, perhaps with some sort of substrate to repair that stem. When you do this, if the vulcanite begins to oxidize is it totally glaringly obvious that the stem has been patched(since the patch doesn't oxidize)?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:19 pm Every single one a jaw dropper. Nice work as always.
Thanks, man, getting gems like these on my budget they always require some work.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:29 pm One thing I've always wondered, since I tend to avoid pipes that need significant patches like this - I am assuming you used black super glue, perhaps with some sort of substrate to repair that stem. When you do this, if the vulcanite begins to oxidize is it totally glaringly obvious that the stem has been patched(since the patch doesn't oxidize)?
Haven't done anything but beat on that pipe since it went into rotation, just took this picture and you can see how it's faded around the patch and started to oxidize just to the side of it. Really need to look for it when everything is black but I imagine it would stand out on a heavily oxidized stem, none of mine are permitted to get that bad so I have no picture of one.

Peacock

Thanks for sharing - this is one of my favorite things about pipe smoking. I love turning something neglected into a treasure, always have always will. So much more satisfying than a brand spanking new pipe IMHO
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein