Some Old Before and After

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:39 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:29 pm One thing I've always wondered, since I tend to avoid pipes that need significant patches like this - I am assuming you used black super glue, perhaps with some sort of substrate to repair that stem. When you do this, if the vulcanite begins to oxidize is it totally glaringly obvious that the stem has been patched(since the patch doesn't oxidize)?
Haven't done anything but beat on that pipe since it went into rotation, just took this picture and you can see how it's faded around the patch and started to oxidize just to the side of it. Really need to look for it when everything is black but I imagine it would stand out on a heavily oxidized stem, none of mine are permitted to get that bad so I have no picture of one.

Yeah, that is not as bad as I was expecting. That is well within the realm of what I find acceptable near the end of the bit.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Beautiful!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:12 amBeautiful!
Thanks!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Great work, brother! 👍💨💨
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:16 pm Great work, brother! 👍💨💨
Thanks!
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:29 pm One thing I've always wondered, since I tend to avoid pipes that need significant patches like this - I am assuming you used black super glue, perhaps with some sort of substrate to repair that stem. When you do this, if the vulcanite begins to oxidize is it totally glaringly obvious that the stem has been patched(since the patch doesn't oxidize)?
Haven't done anything but beat on that pipe since it went into rotation, just took this picture and you can see how it's faded around the patch and started to oxidize just to the side of it. Really need to look for it when everything is black but I imagine it would stand out on a heavily oxidized stem, none of mine are permitted to get that bad so I have no picture of one.

Great Job on those! :thumbs: :awesome:
When I filled the stem on the Kaywoodie Fine Line that I restored I used some finely ground vulcanite filings mixed with the black super glue and while the patch matched perfectly with the rest of the stem as I was filing, sanding and polishing it would be interesting to see if the patch will also oxidize like the rest of the stem. I would think that the patch with vulcanite in it would at least look a little better than a patch with super glue only but like you I don't plan on letting it get in an oxidized state again, so I guess I'll never know. ;) I think I may grab an old piece of vulcanite and experiment a little on this subject.:D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

oldbill wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:17 am

Great Job on those! :thumbs: :awesome:
When I filled the stem on the Kaywoodie Fine Line that I restored I used some finely ground vulcanite filings mixed with the black super glue and while the patch matched perfectly with the rest of the stem as I was filing, sanding and polishing it would be interesting to see if the patch will also oxidize like the rest of the stem. I would think that the patch with vulcanite in it would at least look a little better than a patch with super glue only but like you I don't plan on letting it get in an oxidized state again, so I guess I'll never know. ;) I think I may grab an old piece of vulcanite and experiment a little on this subject.:D
Thanks! This patch was CA glue and activated charcoal, I'm not sure if using Vulcanite in the patch would allow it to oxidize at the same rate, or much at all, due to the glue binding it. Something for someone to try. There's more than one way to patch, maybe a new topic to start...
Mrm1775

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 pm Barling Meer

totally awesome pipe there monk.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Mrm1775 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks, man, love those smooth African meers in classic shapes.
Mrm1775

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
Mrm1775 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks, man, love those smooth African meers in classic shapes.
I’ve been seeing some of your pipes and obviously we share some of the same taste. You have a few that make me double take.