Your Blend Recipes

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:02 pm I had a hunch that pressing for longer than 24hrs wasn't really going to do much good on this one, and after opening the press I got confirmation. This thing is a total brick.
66 grams, and even has a shine on it like commercial plugs. I think cohesiveness of the tobacco has more to do with heat, topping, and initial pressure, than it really does with time(past 24 hours anyway).

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang. That came out nice. The petrified codger plug was slightly warmed before pressing. One of my next supply orders is going to include some of the flake binding magic just for giggles
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:02 pm I had a hunch that pressing for longer than 24hrs wasn't really going to do much good on this one, and after opening the press I got confirmation. This thing is a total brick.
66 grams, and even has a shine on it like commercial plugs. I think cohesiveness of the tobacco has more to do with heat, topping, and initial pressure, than it really does with time(past 24 hours anyway).

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang. That came out nice. The petrified codger plug was slightly warmed before pressing. One of my next supply orders is going to include some of the flake binding magic just for giggles
I reheated after casing to nearly steaming when I loaded up the press. I couldn't resist cutting off a hunk of it and lighting it up... it is magical. It's somewhere in between Lane and Sutliff RR. I am really glad I added the molasses, as it really makes this taste nice and rich. I think pressing probably cut the burn rate in half too, which I am happy about.

I think next on the list is going to be a 50/50 mix of White Burley/ and home toasted white burley maybe with a little anise seed added to the boil when I make the casing. This is seriously fun. 8-)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I reheated after casing to nearly steaming when I loaded up the press. I couldn't resist cutting off a hunk of it and lighting it up... it is magical. It's somewhere in between Lane and Sutliff RR. I am really glad I added the molasses, as it really makes this taste nice and rich. I think pressing probably cut the burn rate in half too, which I am happy about.

I think next on the list is going to be a 50/50 mix of White Burley/ and home toasted white burley maybe with a little anise seed added to the boil when I make the casing. This is seriously fun. 8-)
I'm a fan of anise too. Great flavor with a burley. I need to get my casing game on track instead of just throwing the dice on everything.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:12 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm a fan of anise too. Great flavor with a burley. I need to get my casing game on track instead of just throwing the dice on everything.
I figured out a few things when I was doing mine. I chose to only make a pint, as even that will stretch to about 25 lbs of tobacco.. I also figured out that if you are mixing sugar and water at a 1:1 ratio by weight, it comes out pretty easy. A pint of water weighs ~1 lb, and 2 cups of granulated white sugar is also ~1lb. It also helps to have a syringe in ml to measure casing, and one of those tiny little travel misters, so you aren't foolin around trying to spray 4ml of casing out of a full sized spray bottle. I ended up adding a little extra water to the mister once I had pumped it dry to get all the casing out and compensate for moisture loss in my second heating before going to the press. It seemed like it worked out pretty well.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I was going to wait until tomorrow to take this one out of the press but I wanted to clean up the mess it was making. Impatience played a role as well.

The Bastard:
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm I was going to wait until tomorrow to take this one out of the press but I wanted to clean up the mess it was making. Impatience played a role as well.

The Bastard:
Holy moly.. that thing looks like a charcoal briquette! :D
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm I was going to wait until tomorrow to take this one out of the press but I wanted to clean up the mess it was making. Impatience played a role as well.

The Bastard:
Holy moly.. that thing looks like a charcoal briquette! :D
Right? I hope it tastes slightly better than charcoal though. Funny enough that with the light percentages of perique and dfk I can actually smell it with the Cavendish. But I don't get a lot of latakia
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Looks like plug chewing tobacco of old . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

The Houtencake did slacken a little over night. I could still cut a flake off of it, but it is not a total brick. I kinda hope it slackens a tad bit more so I can tear chunks off like a proper crumble cake.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Smoked a little slice off The Bastard last night. It's a lot like the aromatic version of nor'easter. If I cut the Cavendish back and replace it with some rum infused burley and maybe a splash of VA it would be pretty amazing I think. As is it's not something I love but also not something I hate. Interested to see what time and more dry time does for it