Restoration Project Of The Week

oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Here's another Kaywoodie, this time it's a "Fine Line" pear shape. These apparently were made from 1956 to 76 and while this one wasn't really in horrible condition it did have about 40 years or more of grime on it and a chewed stem. Some Murphy Oil Soap and a tooth brush cleaned the bowl and shank pretty well and I made a paste of vulcanite filings mixed with black super glue to restore the button on the stem. I think he cleaned up nicely! :D
Before...
After...
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

oldbill wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:13 pm Here's another Kaywoodie, this time it's a "Fine Line" pear shape. These apparently were made from 1956 to 76 and while this one wasn't really in horrible condition it did have about 40 years or more of grime on it and a chewed stem. Some Murphy Oil Soap and a tooth brush cleaned the bowl and shank pretty well and I made a paste of vulcanite filings mixed with black super glue to restore the button on the stem. I think he cleaned up nicely! :D
Before...
After...
That is some fantastic fill work on that stem. Those old Fine Lines are cool pipes, and this one you've restored looks great!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:09 pm
oldbill wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:13 pm Here's another Kaywoodie, this time it's a "Fine Line" pear shape. These apparently were made from 1956 to 76 and while this one wasn't really in horrible condition it did have about 40 years or more of grime on it and a chewed stem. Some Murphy Oil Soap and a tooth brush cleaned the bowl and shank pretty well and I made a paste of vulcanite filings mixed with black super glue to restore the button on the stem. I think he cleaned up nicely! :D
Before...
After...
That is some fantastic fill work on that stem. Those old Fine Lines are cool pipes, and this one you've restored looks great!
Thank You Sir! I think they look pretty cool too and they were pretty unique back in the 50's and 60's, I was surprised to read that the Fine Line series was one of Kaywoodie's least selling models!
This was the first time I ever used the super glue/vulcanite paste and I've got to say I am impressed. Once the glue set up it sanded and polished just like the stem and you can NOT see where the patch is, without the before picture you'd never know there was any damage.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Beautiful restoration . . . quite the talent.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

simplepipes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:45 am Beautiful restoration . . . quite the talent.

-sp
Thanks, it's actually a very therapeutic hobby! :D
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Again, very nice work! This is easily one of my favorite threads to keep track of to see the old and neglected brought back to life
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm Again, very nice work! This is easily one of my favorite threads to keep track of to see the old and neglected brought back to life
Thanks Man! I'm having a lot of fun trying out the restoration techniques and methods I've read about or seen videos on for for a number of years and making these old pipes that were probably destined for a landfill smokable again. :D
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Here's an Italian made "Old Vic". It wasn't in bad shape before I started and general clean up was painless but I decided to lightly sand the rustication, the rim of the bowl and the end of the shank in order to add some mahogany and give the pipe a little more color contrast. :D
Before...
After...
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

oldbill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:15 pm Here's an Italian made "Old Vic". It wasn't in bad shape before I started and general clean up was painless but I decided to lightly sand the rustication, the rim of the bowl and the end of the shank in order to add some mahogany and give the pipe a little more color contrast. :D
Before...
After...
That contrast is a good improvement. Little tip, and I try not to nit pick but this one always gets me, sorry. Keep the pipe assembled when removing material to prevent losing your lines and rounding off the shank or stepping it down.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:22 am
oldbill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:15 pm Here's an Italian made "Old Vic". It wasn't in bad shape before I started and general clean up was painless but I decided to lightly sand the rustication, the rim of the bowl and the end of the shank in order to add some mahogany and give the pipe a little more color contrast. :D
Before...
After...
That contrast is a good improvement. Little tip, and I try not to nit pick but this one always gets me, sorry. Keep the pipe assembled when removing material to prevent losing your lines and rounding off the shank or stepping it down.
Yeah, it's hard to tell in the before photo because of the angle and darkness but that is how the stem originally fit and I thought about reducing the stem down flush with the shank but that would probably mean losing the logo. I may just go ahead and do it anyway because it bugs me too. :D