Gardening

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I dont grow a garden . I have a spot on the back of my house , under the cantilever that I grow tomatoes at . I have a little green house where I grow the other stuff . I pretty much suck at growing things but all my friends know I'm the " tomato master " :D

Heres how I do my tomato plants , though it may not have anythng to do with their awsome outcomes .. could just be the spot I first started out at turned out to be the perfect spot [ ? ]

The soil in " the spot " is pretty horrible . Its a mix of clay , a little dirt , gravel and God knows what else . Honestly , I wouldn’t grow anything in that stuff but when I moved here I wantd to put something there and I was in the mood for tomatoes , so that’s what i did and it just happened to work ... real well !!

I don’t start tomatoes from seed ... they’re too damn small and drive me nuts , so I buy plants . When I get the plants home , I'll have a hole dug and Ill pop that sucker in the hole to where the bottom leaf/" branches ' are buried... say , a quarter of the plant . Ill water the heck out of them and forget about them and , depending on how the soil looks around the plant , water them or not the next day etc ..

After the guys are in the ground and watered , I made these tubes out of chicken wire . I put the tube/cage over the plant and kind of twist it into the ground an inch or so ... and that’s it . Thing is , the cage is about 4 to 5 foot high . and the diameter isn’t real wide . I think this might help the plant grow more , but I don’t know . The cantilever is 8 foot off the ground , and generally , most tomato plants will grow upwards to the cantilever , touch it a bit and grow outward another couple feet .. so that’s 10 foot of tomato plant and its ridiculously cool

Now , I don’t know if I get more tomatoes off the plant than any other plant , because I font count how many in a season , but it seems to be a good amount

This year , I did something different and watch it jinxes the mojo ... Ill be so pissed . I did everything the same except , I am mulching the spot with Maple that I bring back from work that shoots out our moulder and planer machine . I don’t know if its a good idea or not but ill find out soon enough , I reckon .

I change up the tomatoes I grow sometimes and sometimes I dont . This season is different varieties for me and I haven’t grown them before , I don’t think .

I scored a couple San Marzano tomato plants . I figure God surely loves Georgia as much as Italy , so they should grow good here too

I also got a Variety called German Johnson . I may have grown it before or maybe I grew the German Pink , I'm not sure

I got one called Celebrity

and I got one called Early Girl 50 days

Ill take pictures of it this week and then in a month etc .. if they grow like they have been , its an awesome sight

San Marzano . I usually grow Roma VF for a sauce tomato but I'm hoping mine turn out like these ...
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Nice! We are in week two of our garden being planted and so far, we've been off to a good start. It sounds like we have the same soil (clay, rock). I mulch the base of my plants to retain water. Top the mulch with Rabbit poop and water when it's dry. Such good luck with Rabbit poop.
Whistlebritches

We have an annual garden spot......bout 40'x24' in the back yard.I have water well so we put it to good use.I planted a half dozen Celebrity tomato plants,that's the variety that grows best in my part of Texas.I also planted a couple cherry tomato plants,we love these little poppers with a salad from our lettuce bed.I plant Black Seed Simpson,Mesclun and spinach all mixed in the bed.I have 18-20 Clemson Spineless Okra plants,5 Zuchini, 5 straight neck yellow squash plants,15 pickling cucumber plants,a half dozen or so volunteer dill plants that come up annually,2 rows of 5015 sweet Texas onions and a couple rows of beets and broccoli.We can a lot in the summer and eat fresh veggies almost daily.........if I could only grow bourbon I'd be in heaven.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Around here I can get all the chicken shit I want . We have many a chicken farm in this county ... the aroma of chicken shit is just wonderful only to be surpassed by Elephant , which we dont have any around here .I think one year I mix in a little blood meal but that was probably two or three years ago .

The plants for the green house are about ready to go into bigger pots or whatever .. but that's later in the week . In there , I'll grow some Cantaloupe , yellow squash and I think I'll try red and green peppers again , though Ive always failed . I already killer my water melon plants .. lol . Burpee has a Pepper medley packet and I think I may give that a try ,, though I hate small seeds , other than carrot . I need to build a trough for carrots but havent yet . I can grow those short nubby carrots but nothing of length unless I build something and fill it will killer soil pretty deep . Thing is , carrots are cheap but those little round ones taste rich and I like them but those damn sugar snack are great ... if you grow them long , they ar some tasty bastids . If ya havent grown them , its one to try ...
https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/carro ... 00640.html
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

I started bell peppers, banana peppers and numex peppers along with a few flowers from seeds. At this point the only thing still going are the marigolds. We have billions of tree rats here and they dig up every thing I put in the ground. If you guys get to missing me check the McMinn County jail. I’m not sure what the penalty is gonna be but I’m thinking to buy an air rifle and start sniping the little bastids.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Wildcrow
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 pm I started bell peppers, banana peppers and numex peppers along with a few flowers from seeds. At this point the only thing still going are the marigolds. We have billions of tree rats here and they dig up every thing I put in the ground. If you guys get to missing me check the McMinn County jail. I’m not sure what the penalty is gonna be but I’m thinking to buy an air rifle and start sniping the little bastids.
This rifles are so quiet you could shoot it in the jail and someone will say "God bless you". Snipe away.
Wooda
Founding Member

Leaf out is a month behind this year. I planted out almost everything from corn to squash and greens last weekend. Hoping there won't be another hard frost until fall, or I'm screwed
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

We have a 6x4 raised garden.
We put in tomatoes,some mild peppers,cucumbers,and I think Mrs.Pip and the granddaughter put in some zucchini the other day.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
ncrobb
Founding Member

Wife and I visited one of the local Amish stores yesterday and they have a greenhouse so I snagged some Better Boy tomato plants along with a few banana and jalapeño pepper plants to offset the damage done by tree rats.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

We go the lazy route. I have a few pots with Beefsteak tomatoes and a few cherry. We love tomatoes and only eat them when they are in season. NJ produces a great tomato.
The Troll Whisperer