"Elementary, my dear Watson..."

User avatar
MikeDennison
Senior Member
Posts: 2355
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:34 pm
I enjoy the old Sherlock flicks but the new ones are a good time with a home theater ;)
I enjoyed the BBC films with Benedict Cucumberpatch.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

MikeDennison wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:47 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:34 pm
I enjoy the old Sherlock flicks but the new ones are a good time with a home theater ;)
I enjoyed the BBC films with Benedict Cucumberpatch.
Same here. He strikes me as kind of an odd duck and plays the role very well
This is my unique signature
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am
Location: Archdiocese of New Orleans

Should you ever find yourself in Connecticut, get yourself to Gillette Castle. William Gillette played Holmes on the stage long before there were movies. He's the one who introduced the deerstalker cap and many other things that all Holmes actors after him have imitated. His castle is a fascinating place.

The William Gillette Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gillette


The Gillette Castle State Park website: http://www.ctvisit.com/listings/gillett ... state-park

The Wikipedia page about Gillette Castle which has more information than the State's page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_ ... State_Park

Go. It is totally worth it. Go to the Hadlyme Deli when you're in the area. Take the ferry across the Connecticut River. It's a fascinating and remote part of the state.
...
User avatar
oldbill
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:11 pm
Location: Kyle, TX

Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
Image
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Longshanks
Active Member
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Kentucky

oldbill wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 pm
Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
Image
I'll +1 that. He has a pleasant way of letting someone know they were wrong. And I like that friendly way he let Watson feel like he'd helped Sherlock come to a conclusion, even though he'd come to that conclusion probably the day before. :lol:

I especially like how he made good pipe choices. Some actors in later years carried cumbersome churchwardens everywhere as a prop. It didn't make sense, so it was actually anti-Holmes.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 1663
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am
Location: Archdiocese of New Orleans

Longshanks wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm
oldbill wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 pm
Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
Image
I'll +1 that. He has a pleasant way of letting someone know they were wrong. And I like that friendly way he let Watson feel like he'd helped Sherlock come to a conclusion, even though he'd come to that conclusion probably the day before. :lol:

I especially like how he made good pipe choices. Some actors in later years carried cumbersome churchwardens everywhere as a prop. It didn't make sense, so it was actually anti-Holmes.
My mother wanted to name me Basil, after Basil Rathbone. My father put the kibosh on that.

Now I'm known as Whalehead. Quite the upgrade.
...
User avatar
avid
Senior Member
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Longshanks wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm
oldbill wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 pm
Rathbone has always been my favorite Holmes. ;)
Image
I'll +1 that. He has a pleasant way of letting someone know they were wrong. And I like that friendly way he let Watson feel like he'd helped Sherlock come to a conclusion, even though he'd come to that conclusion probably the day before. :lol:

I especially like how he made good pipe choices. Some actors in later years carried cumbersome churchwardens everywhere as a prop. It didn't make sense, so it was actually anti-Holmes.
i like to see the look on dear Watson's face when Holmes is proven correct on a deduction, e.g. someone will walk through the door, and sure enough...
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
insufferable filter guy
User avatar
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 am
Location: Van Schaick Island, NY

Started watching the DVD's again last night, watched the first two on disc one: "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" and "The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes". :awesome:
User avatar
avid
Senior Member
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Preacher1611 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 am
Started watching the DVD's again last night, watched the first two on disc one: "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" and "The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes". :awesome:
cool
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
insufferable filter guy
User avatar
arturo7
Active Member
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm
Location: way out west

I'm on a self imposed SH hiatus.

I'm hoping to forget all of the solutions.

It's better when you don't know the ending, right?
ever forward
Post Reply