The ongoing pipe display battle

avid

arturo7 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am I'm with your wife on this one. Curio cabinets are for... curios.

If you have a cool vintage pipe or some Danish bling, by all means, put it in there.

But daily smokers? Nah
truth can be brutal
insufferable filter guy
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

9 Iron wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:54 pm
arturo7 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm I'm surprised no has offered you a brylon to stick in there.
And a lava lamp.

I've had a lava lamp since high school, I still use it. Though it needs a new bulb so it hasn't been used in quite a bit... maybe that constitutes un-use, I don't know. lol
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

I have a room in my place that I call "the library", all my pipes, books and musical instruments are there. I'd love to have one big tobacco cabinet but after I filled it I'd feel compelled to get another one....
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

arturo7 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am I'm with your wife on this one. Curio cabinets are for... curios.

If you have a cool vintage pipe or some Danish bling, by all means, put it in there.

But daily smokers? Nah
Hey, isn't this a ban-able post? 8-)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
steamboat

9 Iron wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:28 pm The wife and I have been married 36 years. For the most part it’s been a pretty easy marriage, we’re well suited. About the only thing we argue about lately is my pipes. She has no problem with me smoking and collecting them, she just doesn’t want to see them. I see them as art and they please me. She obviously does not. I argue that a middle aged man can get into far greater trouble than a pipe habit, and the pipe bug is about the only vice I have (some fishing and hunting in season, but I claim that as therapy). This doesn’t alter her opinion that my smelly old pipes (as she calls them) should be stowed away out of sight somewhere. There’s no accounting for taste, but then she married me, so I didn’t expect much from her in the Good Taste department.

The bottom, right corner Kaywoodie bulldog is insane! I would smoke that pipe every day...
We have this curio cabinet in the living room that sees all manner of seasonal bric a brac come and go. Sometimes it looks alright, sometimes, especially at Christmas, it looks like a thrift store threw up in it. I deftly planned an insurgence with intent to insinuate my pipes into the ghastly display and bring a touch of masculinity and pleasantness to the situation. I polished up my Petersons, with their nice shiny silver collars, and placed them on a nice rack in the cabinet. Amazingly she put up little resistance. I was in!! A while later, after the holiday nightmare had been stored away and during a lull where she’d left a couple spots in the curio vacant, I slipped in a pair of pipes propped up jauntily in their open boxes. Again, no resistance.

Of course this fueled my pig greed for more, but keeping my senses and knowing the enemy, a brilliant plan was launched. New silk flowers and a tasteful display box for a small number of sandblasts, all layed out in geometric proportion in the curio. Today was the day. The wife left early with the granddaughters for a daytrip to San Francisco and as soon as they left I leapt into action. It may fly, it may be too much. I think I’ll hide the key so she can’t open it, at least for a while. Let her get used to it. Wish me luck.

The top row is her precious China teapot and the old family bible, not touching that. Everything below is fair game!

ImageImageImage
The bottom, right corner Kaywoodie bulldog is insane! I would smoke that pipe every day...
9 Iron
Founding Member

steamboat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:36 pm
That’s a Ser Jacopo. When I threw that display together I was in a bit of a rush and didn’t even have my Kaywoodies in the Kaywoodie box. Right now there are 4 Kaywoodies in there, the Ser Jac is still there.