What Are You Smoking May 2019

9 Iron
Founding Member

Friday! Burley, corn, what’s not to like.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

steamboat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:09 pm
Flyfish Falls wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:51 pm
steamboat wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:03 pm Butera Dark Stoved, in my new to me gifted Three Star bully, from Hout.

Oh by the way, if it anybody wants to trade Matured Ribbon for Dark Stoved, let me know. I stocked the wrong blend =)
Are the Peppers, Onions, and Garlic for eating, or a new pipe blend? :)
I have recently discovered the world of Cast Iron pans, its my first one. I think i watched maybe 4 hours of youtube videos on seasoning and cleaning. I went out bought, steel wool, a whole set of wooden spoons, all this crap. I cooked some TGI Friday style fajitas today to practice with it. It was delicious. I put all my regular non stick pans in garbage. I am 100% cast iron now.
You know all that crap you read on the internet about caring for cast iron pans? Salt scrubs, chain mail, unicorn fur, etc? Yeah, I ignore all that and use dish soap with a blue Scotch Brite non-scratch sponge lol. If I start to feel like the season isn't working quite as well as it should I run a pound or two of bacon through it. Haven't had anything stick yet
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:23 pm
You know all that crap you read on the internet about caring for cast iron pans? Salt scrubs, chain mail, unicorn fur, etc? Yeah, I ignore all that and use dish soap with a blue Scotch Brite non-scratch sponge lol. If I start to feel like the season isn't working quite as well as it should I run a pound or two of bacon through it. Haven't had anything stick yet
My parents said not to use soap on cast iron. This seems to work pretty well for me. We did not have much access to unicorn fur when I was a kid, so maybe that was the reason for that omission.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

2012 GL Pease Navigator in a Trever Talbot Goblin.
Harris
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ImageWell hello weekend! Smoking Dan's sweet vanilla honeydew in a Triptow, the moka pot is in the works.
The Troll Whisperer
Flyfish Falls

[/quote]
Are the Peppers, Onions, and Garlic for eating, or a new pipe blend? :)

I have recently discovered the world of Cast Iron pans, its my first one. I think i watched maybe 4 hours of youtube videos on seasoning and cleaning. I went out bought, steel wool, a whole set of wooden spoons, all this crap. I cooked some TGI Friday style fajitas today to practice with it. It was delicious. I put all my regular non stick pans in garbage. I am 100% cast iron now.
[/quote]

You can't beat a cast iron pan! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Dark Bird's Eye in a '67 Dunhill 314

Old Ted Award - 2017
steamboat

cigrmaster wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:28 pm 2012 GL Pease Navigator in a Trever Talbot Goblin.
If you have not done so yet, and are new to the website, i highly recommend clicking the cog wheel icon by the search field box, and switching the Style to PSF classic, it completely transforms the theme of the site, and its so much easier to read and navigate.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:27 pm
My parents said not to use soap on cast iron. This seems to work pretty well for me. We did not have much access to unicorn fur when I was a kid, so maybe that was the reason for that omission.
:lol: :lol: we didn't when I was growing up either. The internet mythology (and opinion) surrounding cast iron care easily surpasses pipe smoking myths
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:27 pm
:lol: :lol: we didn't when I was growing up either. The internet mythology (and opinion) surrounding cast iron care easily surpasses pipe smoking myths
I learned care for pipes and cast iron from my father essentially. He was of the "pipe cleaners don't grow on trees" school. Those guys who remember the Great Depression can be fairly practical. People who obsess too much about cleaning pipes and cast iron probably qualify for a disparaging "fussy" from that generation.

Old Ted Award - 2017