Chinese cob failure

JustScott

Wow, just wow. I remember reading the original thread and hoping for the best. The tenon is not where I expected the first failure to happen. How thick a layer of pipe mud did you use on the sides?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I used mud in the heel to get the draft hole reasonable. I did not mud the sides. It was drilled out, so the walls were pretty thin. I was careful smoking it to keep it from getting too hot initially for fear of a burnout. I need to bring a new stem from one of the spares at the office and start smoking it again.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
CoreyR
Founding Member

You talking about you originally though this thing might "burst into flame" reminded me of several years ago when I tried those Old Dominion Pipe company pipes. Several of them actually DID "burst into flames" on me.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

CoreyR wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 am You talking about you originally though this thing might "burst into flame" reminded me of several years ago when I tried those Old Dominion Pipe company pipes. Several of them actually DID "burst into flames" on me.
I remember that adventure. You were driving, weren’t you? Those pictures were pretty graphic! :thumbs:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

NO! NO! NO!
Fr.Tom please pm me your address.
Unless you have a preference for Chinese cobs I need to help you out.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

mrpipster wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm NO! NO! NO!
Fr.Tom please pm me your address.
Unless you have a preference for Chinese cobs I need to help you out.
Ha! I am cob rich. I decided to smoke a Chinese cob just as an experiment. The stem broke and I have not brought a spare from the office yet. Living dangerously, I even bored it out.

Old Ted Award - 2017
CoreyR
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 am
CoreyR wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:24 am You talking about you originally though this thing might "burst into flame" reminded me of several years ago when I tried those Old Dominion Pipe company pipes. Several of them actually DID "burst into flames" on me.
I remember that adventure. You were driving, weren’t you? Those pictures were pretty graphic! :thumbs:
Yep, sure was. Out the window it went too.
Funny story there. A week or so later I was sitting in the courtroom, between cases. I worked as a bailiff back then. I was chatting with a couple of road deputies and one of them was going on about a pet peeve of his, littering. "There is no good reason for anyone to throw ANYTHING from a moving vehicle!" he said. "Oh really?" I replied and I proceeded to tell him about my "flaming pipe" and how I had to throw it out the window then pull over, run back and stomp it out.
"Now," I asked, "If you had seen me throw that burning pipe, from the window of my truck, would you have pulled me?" "I might have pulled you," he replied, "But I would have been to busy laughing to have written you a ticket!" :facepalm:
My apologies Fr Tom, didn't mean to hijack your thread but it is a good chuckle.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

CoreyR wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 am
Yep, sure was. Out the window it went too.
Funny story there. A week or so later I was sitting in the courtroom, between cases. I worked as a bailiff back then. I was chatting with a couple of road deputies and one of them was going on about a pet peeve of his, littering. "There is no good reason for anyone to throw ANYTHING from a moving vehicle!" he said. "Oh really?" I replied and I proceeded to tell him about my "flaming pipe" and how I had to throw it out the window then pull over, run back and stomp it out.
"Now," I asked, "If you had seen me throw that burning pipe, from the window of my truck, would you have pulled me?" "I might have pulled you," he replied, "But I would have been to busy laughing to have written you a ticket!" :facepalm:
My apologies Fr Tom, didn't mean to hijack your thread but it is a good chuckle.
No apology needed... There is Chinese cob content. We all needed to be reminded of the flaming pipe too.

Old Ted Award - 2017