MM Charles Towne Cobbler!

avid

arturo7 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm here 'tiz

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=110365
that looks the same as the stems on the MM website...not being picky, but an acrylic with room for a filter would be great!
insufferable filter guy
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

avid wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 pm
arturo7 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm here 'tiz

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=110365
that looks the same as the stems on the MM website...not being picky, but an acrylic with room for a filter would be great!
Yeah, I think you're right. It probably is the same filter as MM. I assumed the purchase from SP indicated the alternate bit, but I think not.

Tried to retrace my steps to figure out where I got it, but I came up empty. I thought maybe it was from Forever Stems, but they don't offer filter models. Checked old emails; nada.

The one place I was unable to check was Old Log Cabin Pipe Works. It seems they're no longer around.

(sad face emoji here)
CoreyR
Founding Member

arturo7 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 pm
CoreyR wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:18 pm I, actually, do not have one yet. I have the last PSF (old) "pipe of the year," which appears to be a very close second. I love those pipes, I have two of them.
Aren't they the same pipe?
I thought so also but a few folks, on the old site, when the PSF pipe first came out, assured me they were "just a bit different." I am not sure how exactly. I shall compare them and let you know. Tracking shows my two newbies due to arrive this afternoon!! I shall be glad to report back.
CoreyR
Founding Member

According the my conversation with Marilyn, at MM, the Acrylic bits that they use are "made in Italy," oooooo, ahhhhhh!!!!
Personally, I could care less if they are made by Guido in his garage in Hoboken just so long as they are well made and get the job done.
I do like the stems on my PSF POYs though. I just like the feel of those pipes. I find myself reaching for them more and more. I used to be in love with the MM CGs, with vulcanite stems but.....
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Here is the cobbler poy with one of the nicer (I use that term loosely) Danish bits from aristocob. At least I think that's what he calls them. The mortise could use a little water to snug it up a bit but a filtered stem definitely fits. Don't have any filters to check and see if they fit but I think they'll be a bit long
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
avid

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:13 pm Here is the cobbler poy with one of the nicer (I use that term loosely) Danish bits from aristocob. At least I think that's what he calls them. The mortise could use a little water to snug it up a bit but a filtered stem definitely fits. Don't have any filters to check and see if they fit but I think they'll be a bit long
it does look nice
insufferable filter guy
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:13 pm Here is the cobbler poy with one of the nicer (I use that term loosely) Danish bits from aristocob. At least I think that's what he calls them. The mortise could use a little water to snug it up a bit but a filtered stem definitely fits. Don't have any filters to check and see if they fit but I think they'll be a bit long
The tenon on that one is just as special looking as mine was :lol: Are they using an orbital sander to shape those things or what?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:37 pm
The tenon on that one is just as special looking as mine was :lol: Are they using an orbital sander to shape those things or what?
LOL yeah it's pretty bad. Makes me think they found a small village in China named Italy and that's where the stems are being made
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:48 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:37 pm
LOL yeah it's pretty bad. Makes me think they found a small village in China named Italy and that's where the stems are being made
MM baffles me sometimes. A tenon cutter from VF is like 70 bucks, and it's almost impossible to produce a bad tenon with one..even with a hand drill. I don't know why, but I kind of expect more from a company that is an American icon.. especially when they are charging 24 bucks. These days you can get a pretty decent Briar for around that price, so they aren't doing themselves any favors. Brand loyalty only takes you so far..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

CoreyR wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 am Personally, I could care less if they are made by Guido in his garage in Hoboken just so long as they are well made and get the job done.
Why does it have to be a Guido from Jersey? :lol:
The Troll Whisperer