Cooked Molars

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

So just curious if anybody has had this happen - A little over a week ago I started noticing that a couple of my very back molars were getting sort of sore, so I went to the dentist and did his dentist thing and took xrays.. nothing wrong at all. He said I probably just bruised a ligament under the gumline or something.. well that's a great comfort! Well it has started to get worse, and it got me thinking that it's been sort of windy lately(I only smoke outside) and those molars are direct inline with where the smoke exits the stem on the side I favor. I clench with the button in between my first two molars so that the stem is sort of inline with the rest of them(pointing directly down the line of teeth). I switched sides, and noticed the back molars on that side are now getting kinda sore. So now I am sure I am cooking my molars, even though the smoke doesn't "feel" hot. I asked the dentist about it and he said.. yep.. hot smoke will definitely sensitize teeth, sort of like how hot coffee can sensitize front teeth.

Am I alone here, or has anyone else cooked their teeth? I am starting to think that maybe sticking with a P-lip might have been a good idea, even if it's fiddly.

Hurting teeth suck!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm So just curious if anybody has had this happen - A little over a week ago I started noticing that a couple of my very back molars were getting sort of sore, so I went to the dentist and did his dentist thing and took xrays.. nothing wrong at all. He said I probably just bruised a ligament under the gumline or something.. well that's a great comfort! Well it has started to get worse, and it got me thinking that it's been sort of windy lately(I only smoke outside) and those molars are direct inline with where the smoke exits the stem on the side I favor. I clench with the button in between my first two molars so that the stem is sort of inline with the rest of them(pointing directly down the line of teeth). I switched sides, and noticed the back molars on that side are now getting kinda sore. So now I am sure I am cooking my molars, even though the smoke doesn't "feel" hot. I asked the dentist about it and he said.. yep.. hot smoke will definitely sensitize teeth, sort of like how hot coffee can sensitize front teeth.

Am I alone here, or has anyone else cooked their teeth? I am starting to think that maybe sticking with a P-lip might have been a good idea, even if it's fiddly.

Hurting teeth suck!
That's a new one to me. Maybe your gums are drying out and you need to start a regimen of more water / listerine / biotene to keep them hydrated and healthy
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:02 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm So just curious if anybody has had this happen - A little over a week ago I started noticing that a couple of my very back molars were getting sort of sore, so I went to the dentist and did his dentist thing and took xrays.. nothing wrong at all. He said I probably just bruised a ligament under the gumline or something.. well that's a great comfort! Well it has started to get worse, and it got me thinking that it's been sort of windy lately(I only smoke outside) and those molars are direct inline with where the smoke exits the stem on the side I favor. I clench with the button in between my first two molars so that the stem is sort of inline with the rest of them(pointing directly down the line of teeth). I switched sides, and noticed the back molars on that side are now getting kinda sore. So now I am sure I am cooking my molars, even though the smoke doesn't "feel" hot. I asked the dentist about it and he said.. yep.. hot smoke will definitely sensitize teeth, sort of like how hot coffee can sensitize front teeth.

Hurting teeth suck!
That's a new one to me. Maybe your gums are drying out and you need to start a regimen of more water / listerine / biotene to keep them hydrated and healthy
I am actually a daily biotene user. I thought it might be gum related, but the dentist said he wouldn't even know I was a smoker if I didn't tell him..actually asked me what my routine was for gums :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Hurting teeth suck!
I am actually a daily biotene user. I thought it might be gum related, but the dentist said he wouldn't even know I was a smoker if I didn't tell him..actually asked me what my routine was for gums :)
Interesting. Well they make special toothpaste for sensitive fellas like yourself :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I never heard of such a thing. 🤔 At least your teeth and gums are in good condition, I've inherited bad teeth and I'll be wearing dentures in a few years.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm
Am I alone here, or has anyone else cooked their teeth?
I have never heard of this, and I have bad genes for teeth.
houtenziel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm Hurting teeth suck!
Word...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Yeahh, I kinda figured it was just me. I've had weird stuff happen to me a lot lately.. not sure what is up.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bamarick

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:20 pm I never heard of such a thing. 🤔 At least your teeth and gums are in good condition, I've inherited bad teeth and I'll be wearing dentures in a few years.
Same here if I live long enough.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bamarick wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:20 pm I never heard of such a thing. 🤔 At least your teeth and gums are in good condition, I've inherited bad teeth and I'll be wearing dentures in a few years.
Same here if I live long enough.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the convenience just as much as I will. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm Yeahh, I kinda figured it was just me. I've had weird stuff happen to me a lot lately.. not sure what is up.
I'm sure it will pass.. try switching toothpaste.
The Troll Whisperer