Any Kayak Hunter/Fishermen?

Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

I had the same problem many of us had "pre-kayak" hunting. I drove a car and did a bit of duck hunting in South Dakota. Water and wind were always the biggest considerations to making a shot. Will it land near shore? Will it blow to the middle of the lake? I've had to use a fishing rod and heavy spoon lure to pull more than one duck out.

Anyway, I knew people hunted out of boats, but I didn't have the vehicle geared to tow one. A kayak would have fit on the car roof. Wish I'd have thought about getting one back then. :|
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
CoreyR
Founding Member

I used to fish from a Kayak...then I got married...I have now purchased a canoe but, with me, the wife, three dogs...Yeah, we tried it...once...sigh. I now fish from shore, less often than not. :(
racinghoss

CoreyR wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 am I used to fish from a Kayak...then I got married...I have now purchased a canoe but, with me, the wife, three dogs...Yeah, we tried it...once...sigh. I now fish from shore, less often than not. :(
I feel bad giggling at your misfortune, but that's a funny story. But, congrats at the marriage and landing a gal that will fish with you!
CoreyR
Founding Member

racinghoss wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:43 pm
CoreyR wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 am I used to fish from a Kayak...then I got married...I have now purchased a canoe but, with me, the wife, three dogs...Yeah, we tried it...once...sigh. I now fish from shore, less often than not. :(
I feel bad giggling at your misfortune, but that's a funny story. But, congrats at the marriage and landing a gal that will fish with you!
Oh, she'll canoe with me, kayak with me, most everything. Our downfall was all the dogs! I used to have one dog. She was a regular sailor. A Chocolate lab who loved the water and who could practically handle a boat by herself. Sometime I shall have to tell the tale of "water orienteering" with Elsie dog and how, after she died, she kept leading me to points on courses, leaving youngsters amazed at "the old guy whose ghost dog is leading him through the course!"
No, After Tammy and I married, we adopted a new dog, he is GREAT. Then we adopted another...aaaaand a third. I need a freaking pontoon boat now! For all the mutts!
avid

When I was a kid my neighbors built a 'duck boat', was long and narrow and pretty tippy unless you knew the trick to stay upright. I don't know how much they actually used it for duck hunting in a swamp or creek, but I think I'd prefer a canoe.
insufferable filter guy
SasquatchoftheEast

Chock Chucker wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:23 pm
SasquatchoftheEast wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:32 am I have a SO kayak (West Marine Caymen 11.5) it is a "budget" kayak compared to a drive kayak. But it has one of the best capacities for size (500 lbs) and balances very well (31 inches wide). I have taken it from salt water (inshore and bays) to rivers for fishing and camping. I'll post pictures of my setup with the anchor system, fish finder and bait platform (all Scotty) when I am on a PC. -Squatch
I have a Pelican Catch 120. After the first trip out, I hit Amazon up to find new gizmos for it...cup holder, anchor trolleys, and a dog flexi leash. I saw a video that recommended the leash for your anchor so there is no line to get tangled up. They are rated for 100+lbs and easily clip on with a carabiner. I have never had a fish finder and need to learn the basics before I drop money on something. I need to budget, but want the best bang for my buck. What fish finder are you sporting?
I have the Striker 4 from Garmin. I have to drill a hole and mount the battery in the hull and the transducer, but it works like a champ! -https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543740
Chock Chucker

I have been eyeballing the Striker Plus 4cv or the 5cv. After a few more outings in the kayak, and when the wife looks away from the accounts :P , I will probably get one.
Surlywill

I have a tamarak angler that I use for bass and trout.. I fished Watson lake in Prescott last week and caught 6 bass and a nice 2lb trout. . I have as much fun paddling around as fishing.
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Surlywill

My tamarak angler. Went out this morning and got skunked. Wind really started to blow.
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

I've got one of those Sundolphin budget Kayaks that you can get just about everywhere. The Journey 10 SS. I've never used it for fishing... but I bought it for fishing. :lol: Maybe if the weather is nice on Saturday I'll have to give it a try.