Price is what you pay

cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 pm High "priced" artisan pipes are for people who really don't smoke, more of a look what I have kinda deal.
I will respectfully disagree with that statement. I have 51 No American artisan made pipes in my collection and smoke them all on a regular basis. I smoke 4 bowls or more per day and all of them get a good workout. I have found that for my tastes pipes like these give me a better smoke than other types of pipes. One of my pet peeves is a pipe that will gurgle or smoke wet. None of my pipes do this. I enjoy a nice hand cut stem made of high quality German Ebonite. Stems like these make my enjoyment of my pipes better as there is no whistling and no turbulence with stems like that.

Many of my artisan pipes are estates and many were bought new. The most I have ever paid is around 500.00 for my Trever Talbert Goblins. The most I paid for a brand new Rad Davis was 450.00. Most of my estates were purchased for 135.00- 355.00.

I have tons of experience with Danish high lines, Italian high lines, and English highlines. I have found for my money and smoking enjoyment, my No American made artisan pipes give me the best smoke and especially for the money.

Oh and as far as" look what I have kinda deal" I smoke alone and don't do pipe shows.
Harris
Tsal
Forum Decorum

cigrmaster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 pm High "priced" artisan pipes are for people who really don't smoke, more of a look what I have kinda deal.
I will respectfully disagree with that statement. I have 51 No American artisan made pipes in my collection and smoke them all on a regular basis. I smoke 4 bowls or more per day and all of them get a good workout. I have found that for my tastes pipes like these give me a better smoke than other types of pipes. One of my pet peeves is a pipe that will gurgle or smoke wet. None of my pipes do this. I enjoy a nice hand cut stem made of high quality German Ebonite. Stems like these make my enjoyment of my pipes better as there is no whistling and no turbulence with stems like that.

Many of my artisan pipes are estates and many were bought new. The most I have ever paid is around 500.00 for my Trever Talbert Goblins. The most I paid for a brand new Rad Davis was 450.00. Most of my estates were purchased for 135.00- 355.00.

I have tons of experience with Danish high lines, Italian high lines, and English highlines. I have found for my money and smoking enjoyment, my No American made artisan pipes give me the best smoke and especially for the money.

Oh and as far as" look what I have kinda deal" I smoke alone and don't do pipe shows.
500 seems about right for mid range high end pipes. Don't get me wrong I own(ed)many high end pipes that I paid through the roof for and a third of those were duds. Pricing is ridiculous these days especially if your just paying for a nice "looking" piece of wood. My qualm is with most of what I see on social media sites and the likes, very expensive pictures and a lot of hot air. If you can afford to own nice Artisan pipes and actually smoke them that's great, but I'm skeptical of most, maybe it's just me, who knows. Don't get me started about YouTube either. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:50 pm
cigrmaster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm

500 seems about right for mid range high end pipes. Don't get me wrong I own(ed)many high end pipes that I paid through the roof for and a third of those were duds. Pricing is ridiculous these days especially if your just paying for a nice "looking" piece of wood. My qualm is with most of what I see on social media sites and the likes, very expensive pictures and a lot of hot air. If you can afford to own nice Artisan pipes and actually smoke them that's great, but I'm skeptical of most, maybe it's just me, who knows. Don't get me started about YouTube either. Lol
I really, really wanted a BS so bad. I got one and guess what? Gurgler. I got a Rossi 8804 that was the spitting image of another BST I wanted and got it for 1/10th the price. Great smoker. You just never know.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'm in the process of thinning out my collection and the ones on the chopping block are factory pipes. The difficulty I've been running into is that I don't have a single turd in the bunch but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it, I just prefer to smoke my hand made pipes. I'm also lucky that most of them were made locally so if there's something I want changed it would be easy to accomplish or I could ask for guidance to do it myself. Being friends with the carver has also allowed me a view of things that many consumers never get to see such as other carvers interactions and treatment of each other, or how vendors treat people. It can be very... Interesting.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bamarick wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 pm [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] This is also a test.
I think you passed.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I need to change that color. The red is kind of jarring :)
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 am
Ahem... it's pronounced like "out" or "shout".. I will let it slide this time since you are Canadian.
Wouldn't it be "oot" in Canadian?
ever forward
Bamarick

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:23 pm
Bamarick wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 pm [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] This is also a test.
I think you passed.
It took a lot of skill :D
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

sisyphus wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:42 pm I need to change that color. The red is kind of jarring :)
Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Middle Earth

@whoever
This is how I have always done it
I never knew about the Red Thing