Latest Pipe Purchase 2018

sisyphus
Person of Interest

This one had been on my wishlist for a long time. I had kind of written it off because they are rare and when they do show up they usually look rode hard and put up wet. This turned up and I had to try. I paid a premium for this Sasieni Four Dot Natural Lancashire Liverpool, but how often do you get a first line old English pipe that's been laying around unsmoked for 50 years. When I got it in the mail it surpassed my expectations and I didn't mind what I paid for it one bit. The dimensions are perfect. This is my shape chart group 4 Liverpool. You could not execute it better.

I only have like 3 slots to fill in my collection, and I'm glad I got to have this one.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have bought something unusual and reasonably easy to find.

I have never really warmed up to Zippos until a member of the parish gave me an old one that was "not working right." I rerouted the wick, trimmed it and put in a fresh flint, and it works fine. I looked up the symbols on the bottom to see when it was made -'93.

I started using it and then started using an Old Ted Award Zippo pipe lighter at home. I have come around on the Zippos.

So I thought, "How hard would it be to find a 'birthyear' Zippo on Ebay that is cheaper than a new one?" As it turns out, it is pretty easy. I have one coming in the mail.

I know it has some wear on it, but so do I. I think I am going to like it.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Speaking of Birthyears, I just picked up a 71 Dunhill Bruyere. I'll post pics when it arrives on Wednesday.
The Troll Whisperer
sisyphus
Person of Interest

[mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] dad always used one. Someone at my workplace uses Aqua Velva. I smell it in the locker room sometimes and it always make me think of dad.

[mention]Bruyere_Royale[/mention] Looking forward to it. My birthyear Shell is my only pipe likely to remain unsmoked. I just haven't been able to bring myself to use it, yet.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Wildcrow
Founding Member

:ugeek: @sisyphus, I heard when you finally smoke it, a unicorn is born
Tsal
Forum Decorum

sisyphus wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm @Fr_Tom dad always used one. Someone at my workplace uses Aqua Velva. I smell it in the locker room sometimes and it always make me think of dad.

@Bruyere_Royale Looking forward to it. My birthyear Shell is my only pipe likely to remain unsmoked. I just haven't been able to bring myself to use it, yet.
What are you waiting for? Smoke it! There is no better time than the present.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm
sisyphus wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm @Fr_Tom dad always used one. Someone at my workplace uses Aqua Velva. I smell it in the locker room sometimes and it always make me think of dad.

@Bruyere_Royale Looking forward to it. My birthyear Shell is my only pipe likely to remain unsmoked. I just haven't been able to bring myself to use it, yet.
What are you waiting for? Smoke it! There is no better time than the present.
blackmouth210
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm I have bought something unusual and reasonably easy to find.

I have never really warmed up to Zippos until a member of the parish gave me an old one that was "not working right." I rerouted the wick, trimmed it and put in a fresh flint, and it works fine. I looked up the symbols on the bottom to see when it was made -'93.

I started using it and then started using an Old Ted Award Zippo pipe lighter at home. I have come around on the Zippos.

So I thought, "How hard would it be to find a 'birthyear' Zippo on Ebay that is cheaper than a new one?" As it turns out, it is pretty easy. I have one coming in the mail.

I know it has some wear on it, but so do I. I think I am going to like it.

That's pretty sweet. A birth-year zippo.
I hadn't thought of doing anything like this and I've been zippo guy for years.
Off to do some zippo shopping now. 8-)

By the way, IMO a zippo looks better when "it has some wear on it".
Just like a cob or a meer.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

blackmouth210 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 pm
That's pretty sweet. A birth-year zippo.
I hadn't thought of doing anything like this and I've been zippo guy for years.
Off to do some zippo shopping now. 8-)

By the way, IMO a zippo looks better when "it has some wear on it".
Just like a cob or a meer.
That is what I am claiming anyway...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
keensmoke
Founding Member

I've wanted to add some Italian pipes to my collection (which is mostly Brit briars) but most of the Italian makers put out pipes that are too big/heavy and often too off the wall in shaping for my tastes, as a lover of the traditional shapes. Also, acrylic stems... meh.

I love bulldogs and rhodesians and their variations. I found this Radice that comes in at 35 grams, kind of a nice middle ground between the old Comoys squat bulldogs, the more upright ones, and with a slight Italian flair. The shank/stem is oval, and it has almost an ever so slight tilt upward, and its briar/stem ratio all give it a unique Italian quality whilst not straying too far from old school shaping for me.

Haven't smoked it yet but it has a great draw and drilling (straight pipe, but still). My first Radice and for the price I'm impressed, if it smokes well I will be quite happy.

(Sorry for blurry pic!)