Bundle cigars discussion and what are you smoking

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

We got handmade , machine made .... and now bundles , I reckon . I thought I made this thread before but I didn't see it . I probably just thought to write it and didnt

Often times I'd rather have a machine made with htl that smokes perfect than an off tasting bundle that may draw for beans

For our purposes , a bundle cigar is a cheaper cigar , not a premium that is sold in a bundle of 10 for 50 + dollars

Bundle cigars are often times cheaper than boxed .. or should be . There's a ton of them out there and they can be hit or miss , spotty or pretty damn good .
There's been a huge amount of bundles come about since I owned the shop years ago and I'm not familiar with many of them . Ironically , the bundle brands from back in my day are more like premium priced these days ... like La Unica and National Brand , for example . They were cheap and didn't cost squat ., they cost now but they all do anymore , thanks to the previous administrations schip tax/scam . Truth .. but I digress

National Brand was like a Baccarat cigar and were pretty popular at my shop . Don Jose were popular too , until the quality went to crapola. LA Primadora tasted like charcoal . None of these were too exciting for me
At the time ( mid 90's ) , the Jamacian Specials were very good and the Pride of Copan ... both of these were excellent bundle brands !

These days I'll try a bundle stick when at a b&m to find something decent . The Casa de Garcia is decent . I hated the blue label Olive bundle... way off flavors , imho . If you dig Mexican cigars , ugh , Matacan are ok .
JR has some interesting ones . One being the Mr. B Claro. It's a touch bitter like green wrappers are and I kinda dig them

Anyway , I think its tuff to beat a dutch master Palma but If you know of any d3cent bundle cigars ... pop them up here with a little run down
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'll be back with more on this topic tomorrow. I'm too tired to think too much!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Surlywill

Flor de Olive robusto is my go to. I have been buying them for years and are now on 5 year aged. With a little age they become a great medium bodied smoke. Also 5 Vegas series a on cbid is a good deal. I had so many cigars in storage that 3 years ago I stopped buying and just smoked what I had aged. One of the reasons I started smoking a pipe is because I was seeing the bottom of my cigar inventory. Now I’d rather smoke my pipe :D
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
9 Iron
Founding Member

Back in the 90’s I used to go into Tower Cigar in Sacramento and buy Fonseca 2nds that you could buy either in bundles of 20 or single sticks from a cardboard tray that sat on the counter. Those were fabulous.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 pm I hated the blue label Olive bundle... way off flavors , imho .
Are you talking about Flor de Oliva? I thought they were pretty dang good myself. I thought the Maduros were excellent. However, I do not like the sweetened cap variety of the Flor.
I have had pretty good luck with various Nicaraguan and Honduran factory throwouts/2nds bundles. One thing I've found with pretty much any bundle I've bought is that they usually need a couple weeks in the humidor before they are even remotely smokeable.
I am admittedly a huge cigar snob though. I went through a bunch of MM stuff, and found pretty much nothing that I wanted to smoke more than one of(aside from Avanti). More than a few I pitched at about the halfway mark.
About as low as I go on cigars nowadays are the Tatuaje Series P - but you are looking at about 63 bucks for 20 robustos. I will gladly smoke pretty much anything coming out of the Don Pepin factory.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:47 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 pm I hated the blue label Olive bundle... way off flavors , imho .
Are you talking about Flor de Oliva? I thought they were pretty dang good myself. I thought the Maduros were excellent. However, I do not like the sweetened cap variety of the Flor.
I have had pretty good luck with various Nicaraguan and Honduran factory throwouts/2nds bundles. One thing I've found with pretty much any bundle I've bought is that they usually need a couple weeks in the humidor before they are even remotely smokeable.
I am admittedly a huge cigar snob though. I went through a bunch of MM stuff, and found pretty much nothing that I wanted to smoke more than one of(aside from Avanti). More than a few I pitched at about the halfway mark.
About as low as I go on cigars nowadays are the Tatuaje Series P - but you are looking at about 63 bucks for 20 robustos. I will gladly smoke pretty much anything coming out of the Don Pepin factory.
The ones I tried had an ammonia thing going on
9 Iron wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 pm Back in the 90’s I used to go into Tower Cigar in Sacramento and buy Fonseca 2nds that you could buy either in bundles of 20 or single sticks from a cardboard tray that sat on the counter. Those were fabulous.
Oh man , those were good !!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm
The ones I tried had an ammonia thing going on
Ammonia in a cigar just indicates that they are young/fresh. Pretty common, and nothing that some time in a humidor can't solve.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Yes , that would help . I'm looking for right now good to go . I'll retry them , so ya know . I've heard people talk good of them and now you :thumbs:
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Rosa Cuba Vargas, and Special Jamaicans .. Both are my go to bundle smokes!

Great Topic!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ya know , those La Finca bundles are pretty damn good