I've been had!

CoreyR
Founding Member

Yesterday, while at work, I checked my home security cameras, like I often do. I am not worried so much about "security," with three dogs in the house, I am more worried about what those three "furry gang members" are up too?
Anyway, yesterday, as I panned the main camera around I see all three of them, collapsed lifelessly on the floor. "Oh, they are all napping," think I. A bit unusual, Spotty, the smartest, by far, of the bunch, is usually on the sofa smoking one of my MM cobs with a tumbler of my good scotch. You think I'm kidding? He is one smart dog! As long as he stays out of my dwindling supply of FM and keeps the other two in line, we have an arraignment.
Him being on the floor was a bit out of the ordinary but...ok.
I checked again about 40 minutes later and they were all EXACTLY like I saw them before. Hadn't moved a muscle. Now that IS strange. I keyed up the speaker and called out. This always sets them off, the little yorkie in particular. Ok, everything sets Mollie off. Point being I know I can find out what is happening this way. I key it up and ask them, "hey guys, how ya doing?" .............Nothing. Not a twitch. I check the speaker, it IS working. I try again. NOTHING. I zoom in on Spot (Not "Spotty" the other "Spot," yes, I have two border collies named "spot(ty)") His chest is moving so he is breathing. They are all breathing but not moving or responding.
At this point I am getting a bit alarmed. It is 95 degrees at home, the house is sealed up and, if the AC conked out, it may be a tad bit HOT in there. Could this be the problem??? Are my dogs being baked to death? I emailed my wife, we car pool together since we work nearby to each other and similar hours. we discuss it. By this time about an hour and a half has passed with almost no movement. Spot boy did raise his head once, very briefly, and just flopped it back down.
I discuss it with coworkers and my wife and I decide to head home, a major undertaking since we live almost an hour away. All the way home, no movement, no response. We get home and I grab my cane and stump up the steps to the house as fast as I can. I fumble with the keys and throw open the door, knowing I will be hit by oven like temperatures and three dead dogs!!!!
Imagine my surprise when the cold air hits me in the face and three furry plotters tackle me! The only thing my wife and I can come up with is they know they are being watched on that camera and Spotty, the smart one must have put them up to playing dead, knowing we would come rushing home and let them out early and he would get time with me. That dog grabs my arm and tries to drag me back in the house every day when I leave. He does have a bit of an attachment to me and he is very smart. I've been had!
They had to have drugged the little one though. Nothing else would have kept her yap shut up.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

CoreyR wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:13 am
Anyway, yesterday, as I panned the main camera around I see all three of them, collapsed lifelessly on the floor. "Oh, they are all napping," think I. A bit unusual, Spotty, the smartest, by far, of the bunch, is usually on the sofa smoking one of my MM cobs with a tumbler of my good scotch.
Any telltale slobber on the cob stems? How much of the scotch was gone?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You have a very high tech security system! I just have my wife.
The Troll Whisperer
CoreyR
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 am
CoreyR wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:13 am
Anyway, yesterday, as I panned the main camera around I see all three of them, collapsed lifelessly on the floor. "Oh, they are all napping," think I. A bit unusual, Spotty, the smartest, by far, of the bunch, is usually on the sofa smoking one of my MM cobs with a tumbler of my good scotch.
Any telltale slobber on the cob stems? How much of the scotch was gone?
Alright, alright, the booze MAY be an exaggeration, though I have my suspicions as to the amount of Ardbeg on hand.....hmmmmmm.....but he seriously likes the pipes. He will get them and carry them around the house. I have caught him, sitting on the sofa, with one of my Oom Pauls hanging from his mouth like he was about to lite up! He seems partial to my MM cobs though. Spotty did NOT like the MM cob "cigar pipes." He expressed this by eating them. I had two and I could not get too upset, I was not that fond of them myself. Only pipes he has ever damaged.
Spotty has a great love of all things "fire"...see other posts about him "dancing around campfires." He loves it when I smoke a pipe too. I seriously think I could teach the pup to smoke.
Whalehead King

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

-Groucho Marx.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whalehead King wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 pm "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

-Groucho Marx.
Inside of a dog, it is too damp to smoke.

Fr. Tom
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
avid

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:48 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:26 pm "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

-Groucho Marx.
Inside of a dog, it is too damp to smoke.

Fr. Tom
guaranteed gurgle
insufferable filter guy
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Great story Corey, dogs are amazing creatures.
CoreyR
Founding Member

That little devil Spotty grabbed a lit pipe out of my hand this weekend and ran off with it. MM St Patty's day cob full of LBF too. I am certain he got a few puffs in before I got the pipe back!!! :lol: