Oldest rifle you have that is shot often

oldbill
Member in Good Standing

CoreyR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am To revive an old thread here. I am considering the purchase of a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield conversion rifle. Still in its original military configuration. Seriously thinking about it! :D
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Scap

oldbill wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am
CoreyR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am To revive an old thread here. I am considering the purchase of a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield conversion rifle. Still in its original military configuration. Seriously thinking about it! :D
It's not that bad. The ones I've shot kick less than a shotgun.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Scap wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Yeah it just depends on the rifle that the round is loaded into. I've been eyeballing the Henry .45-70, I have the brass frame .44 Mag Big Boy and I love it!
This thing here (Magnum Research .45-70) makes my hand hurt just looking at it! :lol:
Scap

oldbill wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 am
oldbill wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
Yeah it just depends on the rifle that the round is loaded into. I've been eyeballing the Henry .45-70, I have the brass frame .44 Mag Big Boy and I love it!
This thing here (Magnum Research .45-70) makes my hand hurt just looking at it! :lol:
Buddy of mine has that 45-70 revolver. I'd rather shoot it over the .460 or .500 s&w magnums. Those are absolutely face crushing if you don't know what you're getting into.
CoreyR
Founding Member

But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
On a side note, that Hawken is nice. It is not original but an Italian copy. Came out of a garage of people who are "downsizing" to move into a camper. The husband sold off most his guns but this one, I think, he thought too far gone. It was covered in a layer of rust and the barrel appeared to be packed with dirt. He knows I restore old military arms, to shootable condition and asked if I wanted it? Ummm, We're gonna go with "YES" on that!
Even had it been unrestorable it would have given me valuable experience on an area I have been wanting to get into, black-powder. I mean, I have several of the early BP cartridge guns but they are not quite the same.
Well, I got the rifle, a "possibles bag" with some powder, shot and accessories and a bit of information from him. I spent about 4-5 hours working on it Thursday afternoon, after being released from the VA hospital (Wednesday night/Thursday=whole 'nuther story). Docs had told me to "take it easy" so I sat at the kitchen table and disassembled this critter. Put some water on to boil and cleaned the barrel in a 5 gallon bucket, checked it carefully, even polished the brass. The "rust" was VERY superficial, just a full coating of it. Came off easily with steel wool. The "dirt," in the barrel was, mostly spider webs and minor debris. One swipe with a jag took most of it out.
When I finished, bright shiny barrel with good grooves and no pitting, the bluing is even good, beautiful walnut stock, shiny solid brass-work. One screw, on the rear site, needs to be replaced. I put about $60 into new powder, shot, powder measure, new nipples, caps and cleaning supplies.
Thursday night I stepped onto my back deck and fired off a half charge of BP only. Friday I fired a 3/4 charge, then a full charge. Saturday I live fired it with patched balls. Dead on at about 150 meters. SWEET!
Now I want a flintlock!!! :thumbs:
CoreyR
Founding Member

oldbill wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 am
oldbill wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
Yeah, I would be going for an old "Trap-door Springfield." I am a collector of old military arms. Been hankering for one for them to offset my British Martini.
Interestingly, I just ran across a heavily sporterized British Snyder. It it were not so chopped up.....
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

CoreyR wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
On a side note, that Hawken is nice. It is not original but an Italian copy. Came out of a garage of people who are "downsizing" to move into a camper. The husband sold off most his guns but this one, I think, he thought too far gone. It was covered in a layer of rust and the barrel appeared to be packed with dirt. He knows I restore old military arms, to shootable condition and asked if I wanted it? Ummm, We're gonna go with "YES" on that!
Even had it been unrestorable it would have given me valuable experience on an area I have been wanting to get into, black-powder. I mean, I have several of the early BP cartridge guns but they are not quite the same.
Well, I got the rifle, a "possibles bag" with some powder, shot and accessories and a bit of information from him. I spent about 4-5 hours working on it Thursday afternoon, after being released from the VA hospital (Wednesday night/Thursday=whole 'nuther story). Docs had told me to "take it easy" so I sat at the kitchen table and disassembled this critter. Put some water on to boil and cleaned the barrel in a 5 gallon bucket, checked it carefully, even polished the brass. The "rust" was VERY superficial, just a full coating of it. Came off easily with steel wool. The "dirt," in the barrel was, mostly spider webs and minor debris. One swipe with a jag took most of it out.
When I finished, bright shiny barrel with good grooves and no pitting, the bluing is even good, beautiful walnut stock, shiny solid brass-work. One screw, on the rear site, needs to be replaced. I put about $60 into new powder, shot, powder measure, new nipples, caps and cleaning supplies.
Thursday night I stepped onto my back deck and fired off a half charge of BP only. Friday I fired a 3/4 charge, then a full charge. Saturday I live fired it with patched balls. Dead on at about 150 meters. SWEET!
Cool! I've been an avid black powder shooter for over 30 years, long before they became popular and like you I started with a Hawken. I remember the strange looks I'd get when I'd go to the range with it from all the guys who were sighting in their scoped .270's or .30-06's and then after they see it go off with a flash of fire and a bluish/grey cloud of foul smelling smoke they instantly wanted to shoot it! :lol: Black powder is messy and more time consuming both in loading and cleaning but it's a lot of fun. ;)
CoreyR
Founding Member

Yes but I am used to the likes of .577/.450 Martini, Austrian-Mannlicher, and 8mm Mauser. Really a whole host of early blackpowder cartridge guns and WWI-WWII bolt guns. In my experience, the BP guns have an entirely different kind of recoil and the Hawken seems to be the same as the BP cartridge types. Kind of "heavy" but slow not a sharp "crack" to the shoulder like many of the later loads. I can shoot my Martini all day long with no problems. Five rounds through my Austrian-Mannlicher? If I am still on my feet I am wondering where the truck went that hit me!!! That thing is brutal.
Bamarick

CoreyR wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
If I may ask what brand is your Hawken? I have 2, both made by Traditions. Both are kit guns the first being the Mountain Rifle while the second is a Prairie Hawken. The Mountain Rifle is a real shooter with 80grs of 2F, a hard card and then a .490" patched ball. I've yet to put the Prairie on paper. I love shooting BP!
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
CoreyR
Founding Member

Bamarick wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm
If I may ask what brand is your Hawken? I have 2, both made by Traditions. Both are kit guns the first being the Mountain Rifle while the second is a Prairie Hawken. The Mountain Rifle is a real shooter with 80grs of 2F, a hard card and then a .490" patched ball. I've yet to put the Prairie on paper. I love shooting BP!
Judging by the squared "I" I am going with an "Investarms." I confess that I had never heard of them but they seem to have been sold by Cabela's, back in the day. There was also a "kit version" of this rifle but I am not thinking this was one of those though the previous owner did mention "blueing" it himself. I am thinking he had it long enough that he "reblued" it. I need to do some more checking on the serial number.