Pipe smoking AmatEur Radio!

AK Kilted Guy

I’ve always been intrigued, but I always feel like I have so many different hobbies that I never spend any significant time on any of them.
AK Kilted Guy
CoreyR
Founding Member

AK Kilted Guy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 pm I’ve always been intrigued, but I always feel like I have so many different hobbies that I never spend any significant time on any of them.
Try it, you'll like it.....
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ok, it has been awhile since there was a post on this thread but, for you pipe smoking hams out there, or those just interested in such things, I upped to general class back about a year ago. A couple of weeks ago I was ragchewing with one of the region ARES guys. He tells me that he "just came from a meeting with the folks from (my county) who want ARRL/ARES to appoint an EC and they will spring for repeater for the county." We have not had one here since I moved here. The previous one had a family emergency and resigned leaving this county with no ARES program.
I told him, "I cannot stress to you how interested I am....long story short, after some process, I am the new EC for Dinwiddie county Virginia. Now I have to restart an ARES program from the ground up.
Hmmmmm, Pipe smoking ok in the Comm center???
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

CoreyR wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:19 pm Ok, it has been awhile since there was a post on this thread but, for you pipe smoking hams out there, or those just interested in such things, I upped to general class back about a year ago. A couple of weeks ago I was ragchewing with one of the region ARES guys. He tells me that he "just came from a meeting with the folks from (my county) who want ARRL/ARES to appoint an EC and they will spring for repeater for the county." We have not had one here since I moved here. The previous one had a family emergency and resigned leaving this county with no ARES program.
I told him, "I cannot stress to you how interested I am....long story short, after some process, I am the new EC for Dinwiddie county Virginia. Now I have to restart an ARES program from the ground up.
Hmmmmm, Pipe smoking ok in the Comm center???
Good for you man !!

I think we should do a live show here at psf . Anyone e involved woukd have to be buzzed as well :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Jlando19

I was studying to take the test for it, then I decided to put myself in school to become a Paramedic so it's on the back burner for now.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Jlando19 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:04 am I was studying to take the test for it, then I decided to put myself in school to become a Paramedic so it's on the back burner for now.
Dude, the Tech test is NOT hard at all. I was an EMT-B and whizzed the thing. Seriously. People get more worked up about it. Answer "C" on anything you don't know and you'll be fine. Just take the online practice test for awhile first.
Middle Earth

Did you pass the "extra" ?
CoreyR
Founding Member

Middle Earth wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:35 am Did you pass the "extra" ?
Let us just say that "c" is NOT the correct answer on the extra test.
I took that thing twice too. Going to have to hit the books HARD.
whitebriar

i am K5PSH since 1958--work 100% CW--was morse intercept opr in asia during the sixties--
today, due to retirement apartment living, i listen only, but have a go box ready--just never get time to use it--
CoreyR
Founding Member

whitebriar wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:18 pm i am K5PSH since 1958--work 100% CW--was morse intercept opr in asia during the sixties--
today, due to retirement apartment living, i listen only, but have a go box ready--just never get time to use it--
I saw your earlier post. Don't know how I missed it a few months back. Sounds like you have some stories to tell.