French St Claude LAP pipe - thoughts?

dragulievic

Hi there,

I am a new member here so I hope I am not opening a new topic unnecessarily.
I found a few weeks ago a very nice classically shaped bulldog from a French seller on eBay which disappeared for a few weeks and today it was re-listed again.
I bought it straightaway without hesitation for it was rather cheap (around 45USD with shipping) and only after the purchase I've realized that maybe it was not such a great deal for mainly one reason - it has a threaded stem. Rookie mistake but whatever. Besides potentially becoming loose after time, does it have any other disadvantages?
Unfortunately I cannot make any better photos yet so I have only two pictures from eBay, what do you think of this pipe?

I personally find it beautiful, reminds me of the classical Dunhills, simple, elegant. St Claude is a rather well know region of pipe makers but I've never heard of this particular one, does anyone know something about the "LAP" stamping?
Also do you have any specific recommendations how to prepare/clean a NOS pipe bought from eBay before smoking it for the first time? I am asking mainly due to hygienic reasons, even though this is a new unsmoked pipe.
Thanks a lot in advance!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Nice Bulldog! As far as cleaning goes, I'd just run a pipe cleaner soaked in your favorite booze down the stem and shank, wait for it to dry then fire it up. Welcome to PSF
The Troll Whisperer
dragulievic

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:45 am Nice Bulldog! As far as cleaning goes, I'd just run a pipe cleaner soaked in your favorite booze down the stem and shank, wait for it to dry then fire it up. Welcome to PSF
Thanks,
well, I am basically a beer drinker and the last bottle of booze I bought was a 12y Laphroaig, that would be way too heavy I think for this purpose.
Probably vodka would be the best choice for its neutral taste? :)
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

That looks like a really nice pipe to me. I wouldn't worry at all about the threaded stem, they are just fine and even preferable in some ways(like being able to be disassembled hot and cleaned out if needed).
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
dragulievic

houtenziel wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am That looks like a really nice pipe to me. I wouldn't worry at all about the threaded stem, they are just fine and even preferable in some ways(like being able to be disassembled hot and cleaned out if needed).
Thanks for the encouraging words, this was my only concern, otherwise I think it was worth every penny, cannot wait to light it!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

What they all said and welcome!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Welcome!

I do not mind the threaded stems.

I say clean it with isopropyl alcohol or something high proof with a neutral taste. This will help sanitize as well as clean. Let it dry and then give us a smoke report!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Welcome to PSF
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Very nice pipe. St. Claude invented the briar pipe and they do it well. Most are real bargains. I have a 121 year old pipe with a screw on stem that works just fine. You done good. I use Cruzan 151 rum to clean my pipes and sweeten them at the same time. Cask strength bourbon is also a good choice.
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Welcome! Hope that pipe smokes as good as it looks. No worries about the threaded stem
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin