Greetings from Canada's Yukon Territory

Wilderness Pipe

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:52 am Glad you are here!

What tobacco is available in the Yukon Territories?
Pretty much nothing. There's is a tourist souvenir shop here that has 3 or four housemixed tobaccos, but I tried one of their tobaccos and didn't like it at all. Not for the outrageous prices they got. I order all my tobaccos online. Unfortunately there aren't a heck of a lot of options for pipe smokers in Canada in general. I guess there aren't many pipes smokers in this great and beautiful Country of ours. The outrages prices don't help either. A 50 gramm (1.76 Oz.) tin or pouch costs anything between 35 and 50 bucks (27 $ US to 37 $ US) . It's because of the super high tobacco tax here. Anyways, I was born in Germany - I became a Canadian Citizen in 2000 - and my whole Family is still there, so I order my tobacco and pipes mostly from Germany and have my brother ship it to me. I have recently started ordering from the US and might be doing that more often in the future. Unfortunately, some stores don't want to ship to Canada because of the stupid duty/tax. I faintly remember reading a history book about a country that started a rebellion over custom/duty taxes which eventually led to the independence and founding of that great country... Hmmm.. Lol. Anyways, that's what a pipe smoker has to go through up here. I'm sure fellow Canadian Pipe smokers that live in the bigger cities down south which, I would assume, have brick and mortar stores, have it easier to get tobacco. But they still have to deal with those outrageous prices. I hope I didn't give the impression of complaining about my country. If so, I'd like to clear that up, I love this great country and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Especially living the livestyle I live as a Hunter, Trapper, wilderness-Guide.

Wow, what a long answer to a simple question lol...
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Pretty much nothing. There's is a tourist souvenir shop here that has 3 or four housemixed tobaccos, but I tried one of their tobaccos and didn't like it at all. Not for the outrageous prices they got. I order all my tobaccos online. Unfortunately there aren't a heck of a lot of options for pipe smokers in Canada in general. I guess there aren't many pipes smokers in this great and beautiful Country of ours. The outrages prices don't help either. A 50 gramm (1.76 Oz.) tin or pouch costs anything between 35 and 50 bucks (27 $ US to 37 $ US) . It's because of the super high tobacco tax here. Anyways, I was born in Germany - I became a Canadian Citizen in 2000 - and my whole Family is still there, so I order my tobacco and pipes mostly from Germany and have my brother ship it to me. I have recently started ordering from the US and might be doing that more often in the future. Unfortunately, some stores don't want to ship to Canada because of the stupid duty/tax. I faintly remember reading a history book about a country that started a rebellion over custom/duty taxes which eventually led to the independence and founding of that great country... Hmmm.. Lol. Anyways, that's what a pipe smoker has to go through up here. I'm sure fellow Canadian Pipe smokers that live in the bigger cities down south which, I would assume, have brick and mortar stores, have it easier to get tobacco. But they still have to deal with those outrageous prices. I hope I didn't give the impression of complaining about my country. If so, I'd like to clear that up, I love this great country and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Especially living the livestyle I live as a Hunter, Trapper, wilderness-Guide.

We like long answers to simple questions.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Long answers are just fine.

I rode a motorcycle to Alaska in the 90's and did a little research. Even then tobacco seemed expensive and limited in Canada. I took a pound of tobacco and a box of cigars which was (as I recall) the max you could bring in for personal use duty free.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wilderness Pipe

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Long answers are just fine.

I rode a motorcycle to Alaska in the 90's and did a little research. Even then tobacco seemed expensive and limited in Canada. I took a pound of tobacco and a box of cigars which was (as I recall) the max you could bring in for personal use duty free.
Yup, it's insanity. There is a somewhat "anti-smoking" sentiment here. Not so much in the North or in the more rural areas of the prairies, but to the majority of Canadians - who live in cities - smoking is rude, disgusting and redneck sorta "addiction" which should be outlawed for the good of humanity. Of course everybody just things of cigarettes and cigars, since no one ever sees a pipe smoker in the cities. So, since few voters still smoke, nobody cares about raising taxes out the wazoo on tobacco. It's sad actually.
Well, that's why I "import" my tobacco. Well until, one day, Canada customs officers use Tobacco Canines lol.....
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Welcome aboard, you're not alone, prices/taxes/availability are being threatened everywhere. Believe Australia recently banned all tobacco orders from reaching their shore. Even in America the states are all different. It's a felony to ship any tobacco into or within Washington state borders. Looks strongly that this is as cheap and available as it's going to be.
Wilderness Pipe

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:52 pm Welcome aboard, you're not alone, prices/taxes/availability are being threatened everywhere. Believe Australia recently banned all tobacco orders from reaching their shore. Even in America the states are all different. It's a felony to ship any tobacco into or within Washington state borders. Looks strongly that this is as cheap and available as it's going to be.
Omg. We need our own Lobby (; Pipe Smokers RAISE UP :D.
Wilderness Pipe

I thought you guys might like this quote:
"Second-hand smoke is claimed to cause many deaths and is the basis for tyrannical curbs on offices and pubs. This figure is arrived at by guesswork, inspired by hysteria, and masquerades as scientific ‘proof’ – a process which characterises our age.”
-Andrew Alexander. Daily Mail.
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Welcome from NY... another place that hates tobacco.
unregistered1

Welcome, Hank!
Are you in Whitehorse?
I had the pleasure of staying a week in Yellowknife for work, back in 2012.
It was quite an interesting experience.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Awesome , Hank ! Never been to the Yukon . I imagine it resembles an arctic Nebraska of sorts, in my mind at least . I'm sure I'm wrong , btw .

Welcome from Georgia :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.