Peterson Stain??

Wilderness Pipe

I have read somewhere that a lot of the newer Peterson Pipes get "dip stained" and because of that some stain gets into the Chamber. So allegedly some pipes taste like stain when smoked for the first 5 to 10 times. Anybody know or hear anything about this? I think they make beautiful Pipes and don't have any first hand experience in this - hence "allegedly" (;
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm I have read somewhere that a lot of the newer Peterson Pipes get "dip stained" and because of that some stain gets into the Chamber. So allegedly some pipes taste like stain when smoked for the first 5 to 10 times. Anybody know or hear anything about this? I think they make beautiful Pipes and don't have any first hand experience in this - hence "allegedly" (;
I've recently had 3 new Peterson pipes (none of which I ended up keeping). Two of them were system pipes - both dip stained. The other was a Irish Army which I bought as a gift, and it was also dip stained. The two systems had a little bit of a funkytaste, but I'd say it only lasted for a couple bowls before I couldn't tell anymore. I didn't smoke the Irish Army, but the old man said that it did have a strange taste for the first couple bowls.
On new pipes I always clean the shanks out with isopropyl alcohol, because I think that is where a lot of the lingering flavor comes from.. since undoubtedly the stain and bowl coatings get in there. In the chamber they burn off eventually, but in the shank they just sit and fester. Either way, if you like Peterson pipes, I wouldn't let it deter you since it's easy to address.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have had a couple of the newer Petes that had the stain in the bowl. Not much of a problem. I always put a coat of honey mixed with 151 rum in the bowls of new pipes, especially Petersons. To me Peterson pipes take longer to break in than other pipes, but it's well worth it. I have found that Petes continue to improve with every smoke indefinitely. The very old estates are amazing.
God and Texas!
Wilderness Pipe

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:50 am I have had a couple of the newer Petes that had the stain in the bowl. Not much of a problem. I always put a coat of honey mixed with 151 rum in the bowls of new pipes, especially Petersons. To me Peterson pipes take longer to break in than other pipes, but it's well worth it. I have found that Petes continue to improve with every smoke indefinitely. The very old estates are amazing.
You put a coat of honey mixed with rum in the bowl? Could you elaborate please? Would you think any type of rum would work?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:50 am I have had a couple of the newer Petes that had the stain in the bowl. Not much of a problem. I always put a coat of honey mixed with 151 rum in the bowls of new pipes, especially Petersons. To me Peterson pipes take longer to break in than other pipes, but it's well worth it. I have found that Petes continue to improve with every smoke indefinitely. The very old estates are amazing.
You put a coat of honey mixed with rum in the bowl? Could you elaborate please? Would you think any type of rum would work?
I do the same thing, but I omit the rum. I just take a drop of honey on my finger and wipe it around the entire bowl, making sure a good bit gets into the heel. Then I set the pipe aside and let it dry for a day. Then load and smoke as usual. It helps to kickstart the cake process, and it tastes good too!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Wilderness Pipe

I own a Peterson system deluxe which I bought just a few months ago. I've only smoked it 6 times but decided to get rid of it at first cause each time I smoked it, it tasted like crap. The last time I smoked it, made me sick to my stomach half way through the bowl. On the other hand I couldn't really find anything wrong with it. It's a gorgeous pipe. I love the look and feel for it and so I didn't get rid of it yet. I'll give it one more try. After smoking 5 full bowls with that pipe I thought the bad taste couldn't come from the stain anymore? I tried alcohol in the Chamber already. Now I'll try the honey and rum mix. Unless that's only something one should do with an unsmoked pipe?
The other issue I have with this pipe is the burned tire smell that comes from the Ebonite stem. I soaked it in bleach, used a mixture of pumice powder and parrafin oil, micro mesh pads as well as a fine polishing compound. Now, while the stem looks beautifully black and shiny without even the slightest scratch on it, it still smells like burned rubber. Especially when placing my nose close to the stem.
After the last bowl tasted so crappy, I thought I would never smoke that pipe again. But, the pipe is one of my best looking and "feeling" and other then taste and smell, it's a gorgeous piece of Briar. So I'll give it one more try. I really hope I get this fixed

Any suggestions?
Wilderness Pipe

houtenziel wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:10 pm
Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm
I do the same thing, but I omit the rum. I just take a drop of honey on my finger and wipe it around the entire bowl, making sure a good bit gets into the heel. Then I set the pipe aside and let it dry for a day. Then load and smoke as usual. It helps to kickstart the cake process, and it tastes good too!
Is that even something you might do on a pipe that's has been smoked 4 to 6 times?
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Dunno if this will be relevant, but my Sav Bing was dip stained, and I also almost parted with it for the same reason. Each time I smoked it, it tasted like my grandad's workshop smelled: varnish, linseed, etc. Horrible! [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] advised me to smoke it like the dickens, and I did. It took a while, but now it's a splendid smoker with none of that horrible stain taste. May be different with Pete's, though.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wilderness Pipe

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 pm Dunno if this will be relevant, but my Sav Bing was dip stained, and I also almost parted with it for the same reason. Each time I smoked it, it tasted like my grandad's workshop smelled: varnish, linseed, etc. Horrible! [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] advised me to smoke it like the dickens, and I did. It took a while, but now it's a splendid smoker with none of that horrible stain taste. May be different with Pete's, though.
I guess I just have to stick with it until it tastes better. The burned rubber smell from the stem is another thing that sets me off too though
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:43 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 pm Dunno if this will be relevant, but my Sav Bing was dip stained, and I also almost parted with it for the same reason. Each time I smoked it, it tasted like my grandad's workshop smelled: varnish, linseed, etc. Horrible! [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] advised me to smoke it like the dickens, and I did. It took a while, but now it's a splendid smoker with none of that horrible stain taste. May be different with Pete's, though.
I guess I just have to stick with it until it tastes better. The burned rubber smell from the stem is another thing that sets me off too though
Yeah, that would be hard to get past.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-