Opinions on Filters

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Man , something about a MM Legend filled ( or whatever other filtered cob ) with SWR or MB GE, with a filter ... is perfection

THE COMBO

Or

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
avid

Ruffinogold wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 pm Man , something about a MM Legend filled ( or whatever other filtered cob ) with SWR or MB GE, with a filter ... is perfection

THE COMBO

Or

if you have SWR in a can i hope you let him out
insufferable filter guy
Wilderness Pipe

Ronv69 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 pm I believe that Germany, and probably the rest of the EU, have mandated that pipes sold there have 9mm filters. You can tell that this was instigated by Germany because if the size they chose. .
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: ↑Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm And speaking of filters: when you guys use the 6mm paper filters, do you change then out after each bowl? If not, how many smokes will before you change it?
I keep a filter in until the pipe loses draw or tastes funny. By then it's usually black and gross. I don't find that using a filter in this manner changes the smoke much, if at all. YMMV of course, as others seem to think that even a second use changes the flavor of the smoke...
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Preacher1611 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am
MikeDennison wrote: ↑Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm And speaking of filters: when you guys use the 6mm paper filters, do you change then out after each bowl? If not, how many smokes will before you change it?
I keep a filter in until the pipe loses draw or tastes funny. By then it's usually black and gross. I don't find that using a filter in this manner changes the smoke much, if at all. YMMV of course, as others seem to think that even a second use changes the flavor of the smoke...
I'm gonna try using them more than once and see how it goes. I've used balsa filters several times with no noticeable decline in quality of the smoke.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wilderness Pipe

MikeDennison wrote: ↑Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 am
I'm gonna try using them more than once and see how it goes. I've used balsa filters several times with no noticeable decline in quality of the smoke.
I tried the Sav balsa filters a few times but didn't like the too much. I found I got too much of a draw with them. I know that sounds weird to a non filtered smoker. I figured it's because of the grooves in them.
avid

the sav filters in my two pipes reduce the draw quite a bit but i get by
insufferable filter guy
Wilderness Pipe

To me an "old" filter changes the taste of the smoke. But that might just be my imagination, knowing what the filter looks like when i smoked them and had them sitting for many hours in the Chamber. But to be honest, so far, changing the filter and cleaning the pipe as well as filter chamber belongs to the ritual. But keep in mind I'm fairly new at this, so that might change in a few ysars
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wilderness Pipe wrote: ↑Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am
To me an "old" filter changes the taste of the smoke. But that might just be my imagination, knowing what the filter looks like when i smoked them and had them sitting for many hours in the Chamber. But to be honest, so far, changing the filter and cleaning the pipe as well as filter chamber belongs to the ritual. But keep in mind I'm fairly new at this, so that might change in a few ysars
A side note based on the above - many new pipe smokers fall into the trap of keeping their pipes "too clean". I was massively guilty of this. Later on I discovered that a little bit of funk in the smoke path can actually really improve the flavor and smoking dynamics of a pipe. Lately I don't even use alcohol unless I am cleaning out an estate, just a dry pipe cleaner after a smoke to clean out any big debris and keep the airway from forming stalactites :D
β€œTo educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Wilderness Pipe

houtenziel wrote: ↑Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:58 am
Wilderness Pipe wrote: ↑Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am

A side note based on the above - many new pipe smokers fall into the trap of keeping their pipes "too clean". I was massively guilty of this. Later on I discovered that a little bit of funk in the smoke path can actually really improve the flavor and smoking dynamics of a pipe. Lately I don't even use alcohol unless I am cleaning out an estate, just a dry pipe cleaner after a smoke to clean out any big debris and keep the airway from forming stalactites :D
That's interesting and good to know. I never thought that a rookie mistake of mine would be to clean my pipes too much.