Your first cigar

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

cigrmaster wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm I started with Tijuana Smalls in 1969 when I was 12. I also smoked Wolf Bros Rum Soaked Crooks, AYC’s(Antonio y Cleopatra), Grenadier's with the Candela wrappers that were actually tobacco back then. I got into good hand made cigars in the early 80's and used JRcigars back then. Lew's catalogues were pretty entertaining back then.
Lew's catalogs were the best.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

My first cigar was some Garcia Vega from a pocket box when I was 15. It made me ill.
The Troll Whisperer
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

King Edward Imperial.
My friend stole us a couple from Luckys Grocery. Age 12-13 ish...

First real cigar ...Junior Year.. Montecristo #2 Especiale.

Things I used to smoke back in the day, but not anymore:
clove cigarettes, bidi cigarettes, Nat Sherman Cigarettes, Lucky Strike Filterless, good times flavored cigarettes, American Spirits..

No more cigarettes, but I do enjoy a wide world of cigars.. From gas station cheapies to High end smokes. Keep puffin dudes!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Chef Benny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:11 am King Edward Imperial.

clove cigarettes, bidi cigarettes, Nat Sherman Cigarettes, Lucky Strike Filterless, good times flavored cigarettes, American Spirits..

No more cigarettes, but I do enjoy a wide world of cigars.. From gas station cheapies to High end smokes. Keep puffin dudes!
Nat Sherman makes a good smoke. I might actually still smoke one if I could find them in town.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Chef Benny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:11 am King Edward Imperial.

I had a connection years ago who was getting me all kinds of Cuban cigarettes. Brands like RyJ, Upmann,Partgas non filtered, Montecristo non filtered and Cohiba with a filter. The Cohiba's were the mildest so I didn't buy many of those. He charged me 30 bucks a carton of 10 packs delivered.
I smoke all kinds of cigarettes before I found these, Lucky's, Pall Mall unfiltered, Marlboro red before they fucked them up. The beauty of the Cuban cigas was the smell, they smelt exactly like a cigar. I would smoke them in bars that had no cigar or pipe smoking and watch the manager look furiously to find the cigar guy. I used to laugh my ass off. The cigarettes were strong but great flavors.
Harris
ncrobb
Founding Member

I tried in vain to support NC Tobacco Agriculture when I was young. I grew up on a farm but we had grain, cows, pigs, hay and a huge garden. So even though cigarettes and chews made me sick I made up for it with tomato sandwiches and ham biscuits. Anyway I worked with a guy about 20 yrs ago who was a cigar smoker. Usually something big with a dark wrapper that smelled really strong. One day he handed me a Dunhill Diamanté or something like that and said give this a try. I did and it wasn’t unpleasant. I bought a pack of Backwoods and thought they were spoiled or tainted and basically steered clear of cigars until [mention]Fr_Tom[/mention] sent me a tin of Macanudo Cafes some time back in a secret friend type swap ruff put together. Those are outstanding.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Only had a small town grocery store selection to choose from but I didn't much like the Swisher Sweets
so i opted for La Corona Whiffs they made good little cigars for playing nickel ante poker on the weekends

not sure what was my first full sized cigar that i could get when we would make a run into the city
probably a Cohiba or Don Thomas didn't do that very often

but i do miss the Corona Whiffs
GatorGirl

My first cigar was an Anthony & Cleopatra that I stole from my dad in the early 70s. Fast forward 35 plus years later and I went to a cigar shop to try and reminisce about my Dad. Well, I don’t remember the cigar I had that day, but I ended up working there and becoming a cigar aficionado!
Whistlebritches

We were 15,summer before we got our drivers license,and my best buddy's dad smoked King Edwards.We swiped a couple,went to the golf course where his dad kept a bottle of Wild Turkey in the golf shed.We smoked,we drank,we played 9 holes then we threw up.It would be about 7-8 years later while serving as Ships Master-at-Arms my Executive officer got me to smoking his sticks,Cuban RyJ Churhills, once or twice a week after our evening meetings.After a couple months of this we pulled into Hong Kong,he took me to his favorite shop and said "buy your own and I'll teach you how to store them".I look back today and laugh.....I bought 2 boxes of RyJ Churchills for about $175,yes I said 2 boxes.Next stop in Australia I bout some Punch tubos,a box of Partagas coronas.Yokusaka my first taste of Bolivar and Cohiba's……………….RIP LCDR Bartlett,we shall herf again Sir
Crusty Cob

Swisher wood tip for me. Summer before college. Was impressed with the experience but not the cigar. Then progressed to black and mild, backwoods black, then the pipe. Usually interspersed with beechnut, camel non filters, and djarums. And the DE "acid" infused cigars. I have had some higher quality cigars but didn't want any more than ten minutes with any of them. I just get bored with a bigger cigar. I found the maduros to be my favorites but for me a mediocre pipe is better than a great cigar.

I've never had a tobacco habit but some of these cigarillos they are making could get me hooked if I'm not careful.