Newb Question - Tobacco Still 'ok'?

Hogfan

Hello All,

I am new to the hobby and have a question. I purchased several tin tobaccos about 3-4 years ago when I tried to get into pipe smoking. I used them for a while and enjoyed it but stopped for some reason. I have recently started again and still have those tobaccos in the tins. I am wondering if they would be ok to smoke or if it is best to just pitch them? Also, I am trying different tobaccos at the moment and want to sample a lot but afraid of wasting if I don't smoke it soon enough. I only smoke on weekends so it takes a while to get through a tin. What is a recommended "shelf life" if stored in a tin vs a "sealed" jar?

Thanks!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

If the tins sealed well enough last you used them and their contents aren't brittle , you're good to go . It's best to keep them jarred . Their is no reccomended shelf life . It depends on the seal and moisture of the blend . Often times a tin that has been opened and hand tightened will last a goid while . People have mentioned years before with all kinds of results from fine to damn near dust. But it's best to jar them . If you do , you'll not haveca issue for sure
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

There are some guys who primarily smoke aged tobaccos: 3, 5, and 7 years old and beyond. When you open an older tin that was factory sealed there may be some whitish crystalline 'bloom' on the tobacco, which is a product of the sugars in the tobacco and is actually desireable to some. Bloom is not to be confused with mold, which will have a hairy appearance. If the tobacco is highly discolored or 'hairy' I suggest that you pitch it.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Welcome to PSF!

I will just add - some tobaccos can change quite a bit, especially when not in a perfectly sealed environment. The loss of humidity can also take with it flavors that were added to the tobacco. Unsurprisingly this has a pretty large effect on aromatics, but it can also effect other types of tobacco - particularly Latakia which tends to drop off in intensity even in a sealed environment.
The only reason I say any of this is just to point out that it is possible that these blends may not be representative of a fresh, or even jarred and aged sample of that same blend. If you smoke them and they all seem flat, do not be discouraged. Buy some fresh tins and give them another go.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
kxg

As long as it's not moldy, as per above, give it a go. What have you got to lose? Of course if it bursts into flames, it may be too dry. Good luck & enjoy!
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

kxg wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 am As long as it's not moldy, as per above, give it a go. What have you got to lose? Of course if it bursts into flames, it may be too dry. Good luck & enjoy!
Seconded!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Hogfan

Awesome. Thanks for yall's quick replies!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Hogfan wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:56 pm Awesome. Thanks for yall's quick replies!
That's just how we roll. 👍
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

It's fine. Smoke it up.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!