Always open to suggestions for the forum

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Just wanted to say that any member can feel free to PM me any time or comment in this thread regarding anything you think this forum lacks that you would like it to have.

PSF uses an open source forum software for a couple reasons. First, I don't like buying software and then being forced to buy it again and again as they release new version year after year. Even with a reduced "upgrade" price it still rankles. Gee, thanks for taking my money if I want these new features, again. :fu:

Also, I like how people around the world are able to get hands on because something is open source. That generally translates into more development, and more people coming up with ways to extend the functionality of the base software. I always felt that vBulletin was the gold standard for forum software, but I find what we use to offer just about as good an experience.

We're running two forum themes here at PSF. The default Modern theme is clean, legible and usable, and I feel it will be a while before the layout feels dated. I rarely use the Classic theme, but I am this morning and it kind of makes me happy how this theme is so nostalgic and reminds me what a pipe forum used to feel and look like 10 years ago.

Anyway, I am always available for you to reach out to with suggestions about the forum. I may not take your advice but I will listen. I want PSF to be comfortable and easy to use for all of us.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ronv69
Founding Member

I like this forum software much better than the other forums I am on. It's easy to use and I get tired of having to relearn how to use stuff. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
God and Texas!
Middle Earth

Ronv69 wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 am I like this forum software much better than the other forums I am on. It's easy to use and I get tired of having to relearn how to use stuff. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Agree
Really like the forum function
I always use the classic theme
Thank you for that option
Getting photos into a posts is real easy
Ronv69
Founding Member

It reminds me of the old PSF.
God and Texas!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Just a quick question - I noticed a behavior change about an hour ago on the forum. I use the "Recent Topics" primarily to navigate topics and see if there have been new replies to stuff. There used to be an option where you could set Recent Topics to only show threads with unread posts in them, but now there doesn't seem to be.
Basically my normal behavior is to read all the new unread posts in recent topics, or I could hit "mark forums read" to clear out recent topics. Then all I'd have to do is refresh to see if anything got replies because they'd pop back up in recent topics as unread.

I think some change must have migrated out to me recently, and I am wondering if it would be possible to get that functionality back? Am I just missing the option somewhere in User Control Panel?
โ€œTo educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.โ€
โ€• Theodore Roosevelt
sisyphus
Person of Interest

houtenziel wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 pm Just a quick question - I noticed a behavior change about an hour ago on the forum. I use the "Recent Topics" primarily to navigate topics and see if there have been new replies to stuff. There used to be an option where you could set Recent Topics to only show threads with unread posts in them, but now there doesn't seem to be.
Basically my normal behavior is to read all the new unread posts in recent topics, or I could hit "mark forums read" to clear out recent topics. Then all I'd have to do is refresh to see if anything got replies because they'd pop back up in recent topics as unread.

I think some change must have migrated out to me recently, and I am wondering if it would be possible to get that functionality back? Am I just missing the option somewhere in User Control Panel?
I just upgraded that extension. Let me go check the back end settings.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

check it now
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:38 pmcheck it now
Works as expected now! Thanks for checking that.
โ€œTo educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.โ€
โ€• Theodore Roosevelt