Old Pipe and Tobacco Ads

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm
321 One wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:46 pm
Hey wait a minute .. is that you Father Tom ..

One of the appealing things in this ad is the appeal to saving money by smoking Three Nuns.
That surprises me not at all. :lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 pm Here is one of my favorites.

I would never have guessed. It's a great picture, though.

More men should wear hats when they are out and about. That's just my opinion, but it happens to be true, too. Just ask me.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:02 pm
More men should wear hats when they are out and about. That's just my opinion, but it happens to be true, too. Just ask me.
I wear a Homburg and have all but one day since [mention]Kevin Keith[/mention] convinced me to buy it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:15 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:02 pm
I wear a Homburg and have all but one day since @Kevin Keith convinced me to buy it.
I have one Homburg. It's felt so I only wear it in winter, which means mid-December to mid-February in New Orleans (a winter that is nothing like Indiana's). I like a wide-brimmed fedora, made of felt or straw, which has nothing to do with old pipe and old tobacco ads, aside from the fact that many men back in the day used to wear fedoras and they were featured in ads. The Fedora was originally a woman's hat, if you can believe that.

From Wikipedia:

"The term fedora was in use as early as 1891. Its popularity soared, and eventually it eclipsed the similar-looking homburg. The word fedora comes from the title of an 1882 play by dramatist Victorien Sardou, Fédora, which was written for Sarah Bernhardt. The play was first performed in the United States in 1889. Bernhardt played Princess Fédora Romazov, the heroine of the play. During the play, Bernhardt – a noted cross-dresser – wore a center-creased, soft brimmed hat. The hat was fashionable for women, and the women's rights movement adopted it as a symbol. After Edward, Prince of Wales started wearing them in 1924, it became popular among men for its stylishness and its ability to protect the wearer's head from the wind and weather."

I don't intend to derail this thread any more than it needs to be. How about the old pipe ads, eh? I'd like to see more of them.
keensmoke
Founding Member

321 One wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:46 pm
Hey wait a minute .. is that you Father Tom ..

That looks like old Paul Newman - like Paul Newman from 2001 - in an ad way before then.
Mind blown.
keensmoke
Founding Member

Also, thanks for the link. I saw this on the old board and meant to dig through it at some point and still need to. Love this stuff.
blackmouth210
Founding Member

I can read through those ads over and over.
I also enjoy the old pipe-tobacco TV ads that can be found on YouTube.
Great stuff.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Another great thread.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Chris's pipe page , if still working , had so e great ones ..
http://pipepages.com/72Morel

The good ole days ..

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

Erin Gray, from the TV series Buck Rogers in the 24th Century. You may remember it.

How did she get her men to pick up a pipe. Probably just by suggesting it. She suggested a Grabrow. She was a smart cookie.

Her men were so smart. They all used a filter.