Tongue Therapy

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:50 pm +1 on the Biotene.
Biotene it is then - this is bullsh*t!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bro Uhaha wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:51 pm
A gentle, warm, salt water rinse may help too
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Bro Uhaha wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:51 pm
Biotene also makes a toothpaste if you want to go that way. I use both. My preference is the toothpaste because I can scrub the tongue which really helps. Biotene also makes a mouth spray which is good at bedtime to keep your mouth moist.
Whalehead King

There are other options.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I am seriously prone to chemical bite, and I've tried just about everything under the sun to try and soothe it. Biotene didn't do jack for me, but I know a lot of people swear by it..
Saline rinses with a couple drops of Calendula Extract(Not oil) added, are the only thing that works for me. Interestingly, this is the same remedy my mom used to give me when I'd get a canker sore from eating too much sugar when I was a kid.. 1 teaspoon salt in 8oz of warm water, with 2-3 drops of calendula extract.

If you aren't down with natural remedies, Walmart sells an identical version of Biotene called "Equate Dry Mouth Oral RInse". Works just as well for a couple dollars less a bottle.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm I am seriously prone to chemical bite, and I've tried just about everything under the sun to try and soothe it. Biotene didn't do jack for me, but I know a lot of people swear by it..
Saline rinses with a couple drops of Calendula Extract(Not oil) added, are the only thing that works for me. Interestingly, this is the same remedy my mom used to give me when I'd get a canker sore from eating too much sugar when I was a kid.. 1 teaspoon salt in 8oz of warm water, with 2-3 drops of calendula extract.

If you aren't down with natural remedies, Walmart sells an identical version of Biotene called "Equate Dry Mouth Oral RInse". Works just as well for a couple dollars less a bottle.
Thanks for this. The stuff I tried today instantly gave me a chemical tonguenumbfiz, but I pushed in out of stubbornness. Now I feel like I need to shed my tongue. Uggchh...
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bro Uhaha wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm
houtenziel wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm I am seriously prone to chemical bite, and I've tried just about everything under the sun to try and soothe it. Biotene didn't do jack for me, but I know a lot of people swear by it..

Thanks for this. The stuff I tried today instantly gave me a chemical tonguenumbfiz, but I pushed in out of stubbornness. Now I feel like I need to shed my tongue. Uggchh...
Been there. It happens to me whenever I smoke anything made by Mac Baren.. which really pisses me off because I love their blends. For what it's worth, biotene is for dry mouth, so it's really just meant to keep your mouth moist. It's basically just made of sugar alcohols, surfactants, and paraben to coat things, sorta like chapstick for your tongue. It isn't doing much to actually help your tongue heal, aside from containing xylitol which can fight bacteria. When we are talking about inflamed mucous membranes in your mouth, simple saline is pretty much your best bet. Calendula, only because it is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Here is a quick excerpt from a periodontol study on it:
Various researchers have shown C. officinalis to have antibacterial[8,9] and antifungal activity.[10] It also exhibits wound healing and re-epitheliazation,[11] anti-inflammatory,[12,13] antioxidant,[14] immunomodulatory[15,16] and anti-mutagenic[17,18] properties. It has reported no contraindications and no other drug interactions, but individuals with a known sensitivity to the Compositae family may be predisposed to allergic reactions.[19] Mouth rinsing with calendula will allow its anti-inflammatory properties to work against the swollen, irritated gums and its antibacterial properties deal with the periodontopathic microorganisms.[20] Calendula is also used for healing and soothing burns and sunburns, varicose ulcers, relieving sore throats...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3917203/
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm I don't think I get tongue bite.
Me either. I think I'd just power through it if I did get it. Hair of the dog kind of deal.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Only got bit hard by three blends in my lifetime . 2 of the times were legit and 1 of the times it was me for some reason . I tried that same blend a couple weeks or month later and its a blend I ended up smoking for about a decade .
I had to wait for it to pas , the tongue bite thing .. I think it was abouut 3 days for me
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bro Uhaha wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:38 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:53 pm Maybe put some neosporin on your wound?
It's not really an open wound. More like a slight chemical burn. I'm guessing that there are numbing agents in certain aros. that allow you to get past the point of comfort and into trouble.
I was being sarcastic. Nope, no numbing agents, just smoking too fast with a bit that's probably very turbulent.
The Troll Whisperer