Savinelli 320

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

So, this pipe appears to have quite a loyal following online. I know a few of you own one. What am I missing out on? Is it good for something in particular?

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 pm So, this pipe appears to have quite a loyal following online. I know a few of you own one. What am I missing out on? Is it good for something in particular?
I have a Rossi and a Savinelli. I doubt you're missing out on much by not having one. Forums go through phases when something gets hot and everyone wants one. That happened a couple of years ago on the old forum with the 320. It's an "either you like it or you don't" shape. Not a lot of take-it-or-leave-it feelings. Actually quite a few uncomplimentary things were said about Sav's "little" author. Comparing it to a tadpole was one of the kinder ones. lol

Rossi Rubino 8320

Savinelli Trevi 320
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

It feels good in the hand. Which is great because it feels like crap clenched in the teeth (for me)
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

On some level, it is a quarter bent pot that needs to go on a diet. You get the wider bowl. Truth be told, the fatter bit does not clench so well for me, and it is a little heavier. I have no regrets, and I like the shape, but a Rossi/Savinelli 122 or 121 might suit me better.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I just bought number 3 after flipping the first 2. It took me a minute to get a handle on what the 320 is. Here's why I think the 320 is great:

The standard English author, the Dunhill CK, the Comoy's 256, the Sasieni Ashford, the Orlik 9, it's a fantastic shape. The lines are just right. It's like a rhodesian but better. Then you get one, and they're so ridiculously small. Internet pics don't inform you just how small an author is.

But the 320 is like an author on steroids. And the capacity is like a pot. So, what the 320 really is is a fat but compact handful of Burley lovin'. Plus, it's Savinelli's one take on a classic English shape where they got creative and really made it their own. I'm glad I picked up number 3 and I won't be flipping this one.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I've found that any 320 shape handles English blends quite well.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Yep, it’s a little thick. Kinda heavy. But it feels good in my hand and smokes ODF RR down to ashes. Mine was an unfinished I got a great deal on. Sanded to 1000 grit and have never looked back.

“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:32 am On some level, it is a quarter bent pot that needs to go on a diet.
Well said, sir! :lol:
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
kxg

I must like them, I have five: Alligator, Tundra, Roma, Siena, plain smooth. They feel good in hand and for me are clenchable in the short run. I primarily smoke Latakia heavy blends; Balkans, English. A great pipe for Plum Pudding and Bengal Slices.
Serenity

I've got a rusticated Trevi like KK, it's a great smoker like all Savinelli pipes but IMHO it's the most over rated style going. It's big, heavy and the taper is so severe makes it difficult to clench. It is a natural sitter though, so it has that going for it. If I had to have a Prince, I'd look for one with a saddle bit, that takes away the negative of not being easily clenched.