Show Off Your Wristwatches!

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

My son is into watches, but since he has no money it's mostly theoretical. When I wore a watch it was a Timex. Not fancy but it got the job done. Now my watch is an iPhone.

I get the watch fans though and more power to you. I mean that. I'm a bare bones guy. Pipes, watches, cars, guns...a Grabow, Timex, Jeep, and a Ruger Blackhawk get it done for me and very well. I admit they aren't aesthetically as pleasing as the high grade stuff but that's just me. Some of my best friends have the good stuff and we get along pretty well! :lol:

I do have a watch I'm proud of but it's not a wrist watch, it's my grandpa's Elgin pocket watch. I don't know when he bought it but he died in 1958 and he had it when my mother was a little girl. It sits in a curio case at the house. I don't think I could bring myself to carry it around. :king:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
BigNick

This has become my everyday watch. I have a nice little collection of divers, vintage and designer watches, but this was my first diver. Mako Orient, first model with the second crown/button. I put a stainless shark mesh bracelet it, very sturdy. I only really go diving, snorkeling, surfing and what not in the summer, so it's basically a desk diver. Now that being said, as a teacher, I went through two watches before giving this a shot. One fell victim to a very sly kindergartner who somehow pulled the crown out of a cheapo Timex. The second was the result of my intervention of two 6th graders going at it with chairs. So I tried this out, locking crowns, tough crystal that has taken a beating...now it's the main watch I go for. Love it.
-Nick (Mayor's long lost son)
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 pm My son is into watches, but since he has no money it's mostly theoretical. When I wore a watch it was a Timex. Not fancy but it got the job done. Now my watch is an iPhone.

I get the watch fans though and more power to you. I mean that. I'm a bare bones guy. Pipes, watches, cars, guns...a Grabow, Timex, Jeep, and a Ruger Blackhawk get it done for me and very well. I admit they aren't aesthetically as pleasing as the high grade stuff but that's just me. Some of my best friends have the good stuff and we get along pretty well! :lol:

I do have a watch I'm proud of but it's not a wrist watch, it's my grandpa's Elgin pocket watch. I don't know when he bought it but he died in 1958 and he had it when my mother was a little girl. It sits in a curio case at the house. I don't think I could bring myself to carry it around. :king:
I have my grandfather's pocket watch too.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 pm My son is into watches, but since he has no money it's mostly theoretical. When I wore a watch it was a Timex. Not fancy but it got the job done.
I forget what Vonnegut book it was, "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater," I'm thinking, in which he penned a testament to Timex watches. It ran along the lines that the cheaper the watch bought in a drug store, the longer it lasted. Back then, there weren't cheap watches made in China--there was Timex.

My aunt used to work for Benrus, a company most people don't remember but we all used to wear Benrus watches because we got them at a discount from headquarters where they held a sale of the new models every year.

Timex was originally a Connecticut company, naturally. Connecticut was once the workshop of the nation. I think they were headquartered in Middlebury, Conn. Maybe Southbury. I'm not looking it up. I'm working from memory. You can look it up.

For a couple of years there was a Timex museum in Waterbury, Connecticut's Brass City. It was called the Timexpo. It was very interesting. I loved going there. I like Waterbury. I'm probably one of the few people who say that out loud who doesn't live there, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who do live there who won't say it. It's an interesting city.

The Mattatuck Museum in Waterbury (Mattatuck was the city's original name) is super-interesting. If you find yourself in the Nutmeg State it is definitely worth a visit. There are rooms and rooms full of brass buttons that were manufactured there. If that doesn't whet your appetite, nothing will.

Now, back to watches.... I like a watch that can take a licking and keep on ticking. ;)
Whalehead King

I have a Masonic pocket watch. It's triangular and the face has all sorts of Masonic emblems in place of the numbers. The back has the eye on the pyramid, I think. I haven't looked at it in awhile. I have no use for it. It's not an antique, just something I bought on a whim. I have no use for it and no love for it. If anyone here is secretly running the world behind the scenes and they are looking for a pocket watch, PM me. I'll sell it to you inexpensively. It just sits on a shelf somewhere in my house.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I like the Timex Expedition watches with the velcro band.
I don't ware one daily as I am not allowed to ware any kind of stuff like that while operating my press or in the production area in general.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm I have a Masonic pocket watch. It's triangular and the face has all sorts of Masonic emblems in place of the numbers. The back has the eye on the pyramid, I think. I haven't looked at it in awhile. I have no use for it. It's not an antique, just something I bought on a whim. I have no use for it and no love for it. If anyone here is secretly running the world behind the scenes and they are looking for a pocket watch, PM me. I'll sell it to you inexpensively. It just sits on a shelf somewhere in my house.
Museums rarely divest themselves of pieces, at least I bet it's rare. I haven't heard of a museum having a garage sale. An inter gallery loan maybe...I think due to it's odd nature, the watch deserves to actually be showcased and then, perhaps, it's real value will be realized. Or you could sell it. lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:26 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm I have a Masonic pocket watch. It's triangular and the face has all sorts of Masonic emblems in place of the numbers. The back has the eye on the pyramid, I think. I haven't looked at it in awhile. I have no use for it. It's not an antique, just something I bought on a whim. I have no use for it and no love for it. If anyone here is secretly running the world behind the scenes and they are looking for a pocket watch, PM me. I'll sell it to you inexpensively. It just sits on a shelf somewhere in my house.
Museums rarely divest themselves of pieces, at least I bet it's rare. I haven't heard of a museum having a garage sale. An inter gallery loan maybe...I think due to it's odd nature, the watch deserves to actually be showcased and then, perhaps, it's real value will be realized. Or you could sell it. lol

Well, I do run a museum in our lobby: https://www.nolaodditarium.com. It doesn't really fit in with the Odditarium's theme of all curious things New Orleans-related. I'm willing to sell it to an interested collector.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

NO is home to the oldest lodge in Louisiana

http://www.knightstemplar.org/articles/ ... rleans.pdf
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

lume shots

Zixen Nitrox II

Crepas Cayman 3000

Azimuth Sea Hum GMT