Look what I found...

Whalehead King

What are you going to do with these finds?

Thinking it over, I don't now what my course of action would be besides stow them on a shelf where I can admire them for awhile and think about what I'll be doing with them.

Have you made a snap decision or are you taking a wait-and-ponder approach. My gut tells me to rebuild them and smoke them, but that may not be the best option. A pipe incorporating that old river-washed clay, though, that would be a pipe worth smoking.... Whaddaya thinking?
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Ok. What river have you been walking along? Has there been a lot of rain your way lately? Is the river "up" right now? Maybe mother nature is exposing underwater treasures if in fact you have been having a wet spring.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Sorry man I spoke to soon. The rivers here seem to give up their treasures when they are low. Exposing things otherwise not seen when at normal levels.
Whalehead King

You could easily patch that up with a little Bondo.

It could be the perfect repair:

Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Wow, I didn't even realize this thread had a second page! WK, as of now my plans are to clean them up and just have them on display with my smokeable clays. Although that one that's a pretty much complete bowl might be fixable... mrpipster, I live on an island in the middle of where two rivers converge on each other: the Mohawk and the Hudson; I live on the Mohawk side of the island. The water is ridiculously low right now, it's always low this time of year but right now I can walk all the way across without much trouble and only a finagleing, without the water passing my knees.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Oh. Cool! So in NY you are in a place where the colonies started. Maybe a submerged shipwreck? Maybe some colonists just tossed their spent clays into the river? Who knows? Its still a very cool find!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

That is a very cool set of finds.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

OK, so I haven't been around in like a month. I've found quite a few more pieces and bowls. I'll post some pics tomorrow. I can't believe I keep finding these, it's awesome!!!
Wooda
Founding Member

I can just imagine 100 years of Dutchman tossing their broken clays to the river...
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Yea that's got to be a real thrill every time you find a piece.
Maybe there is a local historical society that could shed some light on your finds?