" Match " blends don't exist but there are some good versions . A list

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Match blends . In general , a piss poor idea .. kinda . I know its semantics but the word " match " isn't possible and here's why ..

Look at Dunhill as an example . From what I gather , the latest versions are the same as the last being the same people make it and rebranded it with the name Peterson. Same folks and same sources ... same stuff ( and damn good as well )

Match blends ... different folks and other sources . On top of that , and this is Uge , different cuts . Thus a different blend, obviously

They should use the word version or " our take / attempt "

However, there are some good versions / takes ..... AND .. there can be bad " matches " that are good blends on their own

The best " match " I've had is Sutliffs Edgeworth ready rub " version " . The cut is similar and most everything else too ... it lacks the depth and range of flavor of the original, which is usually the curse of " match " blends

I'm rambling

So, let's make a list of what we think are at least pretty good versions of discontinued blends

1. Sutliff Edgeworth Ready Rub version , as mentioned above

2. Though its discontinued , sadly , sutluffs version of Country Doctor . It wasn't that great a match but it was a good unique blend that they called CD Blend

Wasn't there a version of sugar barrel ? I have yet to try it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I find the Sutliff Field & Stream Match better then the original.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

The only match I ever tried was Sutliff's Edgeworth ready rub and it's darn good!
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Another, though not a match , is the new three nuns . It captures a bit of the original . It lacks depth of flavor but its real good as a stand alone blend .
I noticed the other day there's 3 three nun blends now . No doubt worth a try
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

I like the WV smoke shop version of walnut, and the P&C version of sugar barrel.
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 pm The only match I ever tried was Sutliff's Edgeworth ready rub and it's darn good!
You've smoked Chestnut!

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:06 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 pm The only match I ever tried was Sutliff's Edgeworth ready rub and it's darn good!
You've smoked Chestnut!

I have and I like it...but didn't know it was a match blend. What is it a match of...? BTW I wish I was as computer savvy as you... lol
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 am
You've smoked Chestnut!

I have and I like it...but didn't know it was a match blend. What is it a match of...? BTW I wish I was as computer savvy as you... lol
It's the "match" for Walnut, which I never smoked. But there is a cartoonist or an inker or something that says it's a very close match.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I have smoked the Mid-Town matches for these Middleton blends: Kentucky Club Mixture (Derby Club), Prince Albert (Prince Andrew), Walnut (Chestnut), Chatham Manor (Carter Hall), and Sweet Cask (Sugar Barrel). I have not ordered/smoked Cherry (Cherry Blend).

I never smoked Kentucky Club Aromatic Mixture or Walnut, so I can't say whether Derby Club and Chestnut are good matches. I can say they are good smoking blends.

I have smoked PA, CH, and Sugar Barrel and can tell you that while the Mid-Town matches are (mostly) good, they are nowhere near what they claim to be a match for. I like Prince Andrew. Chatham Manor and Sweet Cask did not really put any pep in my smokeburator, but lots of others like them. I doubt I'll ever order any Mid-Town Cherry, just because I don't want to order from Pipes and Cigars after two or three ordering debacles.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:10 am
You've smoked Chestnut!

It's the "match" for Walnut, which I never smoked. But there is a cartoonist or an inker or something that says it's a very close match.
Yes, I just Googled it. Never had Walnut either. Ruff sent me a sample of really old Edgeworth that was really good but that was before the most recent and discontinued version so I really can't make any comparison to Edgeworth.
The Troll Whisperer