Latest Pipe Purchase 2020

User avatar
simplepipes
Senior Member
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Location: MO

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:54 pm
simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Image

BR: I just found a Grabow Collectors Forum that I did not know existed.

It is going to be interesting to learn more about vintage Grabows. The first bit of knowledge for me being the Westbrook was a coupon pipe which I did not realize.

I posted a picture from the site of this Westbrook Canadian.

Beautiful . . .

-sp
That's Sean's pipe! Or was, hope he's doing alright. You'll find loads of information, be prepared. Tom started on the ground in the 60s and eventually ran Mastercraft and Grabow at different points, both under the same roof, his knowledge was more than vast and the details he could recall were astonishing. Really great insights. We lost a giant with him. Say hi to Joe for me.
Have not joined the forum . . . I figure I would read for a while before jumping in and acting like I know what I am talking about.

As always, I appreciate your insights in my quest for knowledge and a few pipes . . .

-sp
This post by simplepipes liked by (total 5):
Bruyere_RoyaleMiddle EarthThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMaynard
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Jersey Devil
Posts: 5819
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Image

BR: I just found a Grabow Collectors Forum that I did not know existed.

It is going to be interesting to learn more about vintage Grabows. The first bit of knowledge for me being the Westbrook was a coupon pipe which I did not realize.

I posted a picture from the site of this Westbrook Canadian.

Beautiful . . .

-sp
That's a beauty! They are of a very good quality for a coupon pipe...it just goes to show they don't make things like they used too... pride in craftsmanship whether it be a production pipe or not.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 5):
Middle EarthThelonious monkfishsimplepipesMikeDennisonMaynard
.................🎳
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:13 pm
That's a beauty! They are of a very good quality for a coupon pipe...it just goes to show they don't make things like they used too... pride in craftsmanship whether it be a production pipe or not.
They were great pipes and had offered almost every shape produced in the Westbrook line. Worth noting, great number of stems on those pipes were made using Vulcanite from treads off German tanks after the war. If you have a Westbrook stem that just doesn't seem to oxidize....
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 6):
simplepipesBruyere_RoyaleMiddle EarthMikeDennisonMaynardBamarick
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm
Have not joined the forum . . . I figure I would read for a while before jumping in and acting like I know what I am talking about.

As always, I appreciate your insights in my quest for knowledge and a few pipes . . .

-sp
Questions are more than welcome there, and if you read through enough stuff you'll recognize many times from here over there. The activity level has dropped off over the years. So go join! They're all great and extremely helpful folks, if you're looking for anything Grabow just introduce yourself and ask a question, everyone is more than friendly.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
Middle EarthMikeDennisonMaynardBamarick
User avatar
simplepipes
Senior Member
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Location: MO

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:43 pm
simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm
Have not joined the forum . . . I figure I would read for a while before jumping in and acting like I know what I am talking about.

As always, I appreciate your insights in my quest for knowledge and a few pipes . . .

-sp
Questions are more than welcome there, and if you read through enough stuff you'll recognize many times from here over there. The activity level has dropped off over the years. So go join! They're all great and extremely helpful folks, if you're looking for anything Grabow just introduce yourself and ask a question, everyone is more than friendly.
I was smoking a pipe during the era of Westbrook Pipes availability via Carter Hall . . . unfortunately I did not smoke Carter Hall.

I was only aware of Amphora Coupon Pipes during the 70's . . .

Thank you for your help.

-sp
This post by simplepipes liked by (total 6):
Thelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleMiddle EarthMikeDennisonMaynardBamarick
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:47 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:43 pm
simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm
Have not joined the forum . . . I figure I would read for a while before jumping in and acting like I know what I am talking about.

As always, I appreciate your insights in my quest for knowledge and a few pipes . . .

-sp
Questions are more than welcome there, and if you read through enough stuff you'll recognize many times from here over there. The activity level has dropped off over the years. So go join! They're all great and extremely helpful folks, if you're looking for anything Grabow just introduce yourself and ask a question, everyone is more than friendly.
I was smoking a pipe during the era of Westbrook Pipes availability via Carter Hall . . . unfortunately I did not smoke Carter Hall.

I was only aware of Amphora Coupon Pipes during the 70's . . .

Thank you for your help.

-sp
Amphora you say?...

Image

Notice the shape 821 is also the same 42 as posted a page back. Both out of Sparta. All of those shapes pictured were. Can't recall the year but at some point Grabow was tapped with producing some of the shapes. Maybe you had one? So many pipes are Grabow and people have no idea...
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 5):
Kevin KeithMiddle EarthMikeDennisonMaynardBamarick
User avatar
simplepipes
Senior Member
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Location: MO

Image

I know I have two 817 Billiards on my rack at the office . . . I don't smoke there but need to be surrounded my treasures.

The tobacco jar in the center top shelf of my Home Pipe Rack is one of two Amphora Coupon jars that survived my children 35 years past.

-sp
This post by simplepipes liked by (total 8):
Bruyere_RoyaleMiddle EarthThelonious monkfishKevin KeithMikeDennisonMaynardMr BeardsleyBamarick
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Jersey Devil
Posts: 5819
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:13 pm
That's a beauty! They are of a very good quality for a coupon pipe...it just goes to show they don't make things like they used too... pride in craftsmanship whether it be a production pipe or not.
They were great pipes and had offered almost every shape produced in the Westbrook line. Worth noting, great number of stems on those pipes were made using Vulcanite from treads off German tanks after the war. If you have a Westbrook stem that just doesn't seem to oxidize....
I did not know that, good stuff! I wonder if my bulldog is made with that material. 🤔
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 7):
simplepipesKevin KeithMiddle EarthThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMaynardBamarick
.................🎳
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Texas

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:27 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:13 pm
That's a beauty! They are of a very good quality for a coupon pipe...it just goes to show they don't make things like they used too... pride in craftsmanship whether it be a production pipe or not.
They were great pipes and had offered almost every shape produced in the Westbrook line. Worth noting, great number of stems on those pipes were made using Vulcanite from treads off German tanks after the war. If you have a Westbrook stem that just doesn't seem to oxidize....
I did not know that, good stuff! I wonder if my bulldog is made with that material. 🤔
Tom always said that their German vulcanite was the best anywhere.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 6):
Thelonious monkfishMiddle EarthBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonMaynardBamarick
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Texas

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 pm
simplepipes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:47 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Questions are more than welcome there, and if you read through enough stuff you'll recognize many times from here over there. The activity level has dropped off over the years. So go join! They're all great and extremely helpful folks, if you're looking for anything Grabow just introduce yourself and ask a question, everyone is more than friendly.
I was smoking a pipe during the era of Westbrook Pipes availability via Carter Hall . . . unfortunately I did not smoke Carter Hall.

I was only aware of Amphora Coupon Pipes during the 70's . . .

Thank you for your help.

-sp
Amphora you say?...

Image

Notice the shape 821 is also the same 42 as posted a page back. Both out of Sparta. All of those shapes pictured were. Can't recall the year but at some point Grabow was tapped with producing some of the shapes. Maybe you had one? So many pipes are Grabow and people have no idea...
I joined there in Sept 2012. I drank long and deep at the well of ted and Ozark Southpaw, Dave Whitney, et. al. for years. It's sad what has happened, two body blows from which they can not come back...the deaths of OS and ted. I believe that with Alex and others here we have top notch Grabow knowledge, over any pipe forum, bar none.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 9):
simplepipesThelonious monkfishMiddle EarthBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonFr_TomMaynardMr BeardsleyBamarick
Post Reply