Latest Pipe Purchase 2020

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:47 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 pm
simplepipes wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:47 pm

I was smoking a pipe during the era of Westbrook Pipes availability via Carter Hall . . . unfortunately I did not smoke Carter Hall.

I was only aware of Amphora Coupon Pipes during the 70's . . .

Thank you for your help.

-sp
Amphora you say?...

Notice the shape 821 is also the same 42 as posted a page back. Both out of Sparta. All of those shapes pictured were. Can't recall the year but at some point Grabow was tapped with producing some of the shapes. Maybe you had one? So many pipes are Grabow and people have no idea...
I joined there in Sept 2012. I drank long and deep at the well of ted and Ozark Southpaw, Dave Whitney, et. al. for years. It's sad what has happened, two body blows from which they can not come back...the deaths of OS and ted. I believe that with Alex and others here we have top notch Grabow knowledge, over any pipe forum, bar none.
Humbling, do my best to honor the legacy they left. Giants. We have a solid core of fanatics here to keep their memory going, so much they left behind.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:13 pm That's a beauty! They are of a very good quality for a coupon pipe...it just goes to show they don't make things like they used too... pride in craftsmanship whether it be a production pipe or not.
They were great pipes and had offered almost every shape produced in the Westbrook line. Worth noting, great number of stems on those pipes were made using Vulcanite from treads off German tanks after the war. If you have a Westbrook stem that just doesn't seem to oxidize....
Now THAT'S just fascinating!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

My new Caddi...
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:04 pm My new Caddi...
Lovely. Just lovely.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:03 pm
Lovely. Just lovely.
🍻 It's a good one but it's a later pipe, you can definitely feel the difference on the finish, it has a non wood kinda feel. I like it tho.
The Troll Whisperer
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:59 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 pm
Amphora you say?...

Notice the shape 821 is also the same 42 as posted a page back. Both out of Sparta. All of those shapes pictured were. Can't recall the year but at some point Grabow was tapped with producing some of the shapes. Maybe you had one? So many pipes are Grabow and people have no idea...
I joined there in Sept 2012. I drank long and deep at the well of ted and Ozark Southpaw, Dave Whitney, et. al. for years. It's sad what has happened, two body blows from which they can not come back...the deaths of OS and ted. I believe that with Alex and others here we have top notch Grabow knowledge, over any pipe forum, bar none.
Humbling, do my best to honor the legacy they left. Giants. We have a solid core of fanatics here to keep their memory going, so much they left behind.
TM:

I find your knowledge of Dr. Grabow Pipes fascinating.

How did you come to learn so much about the brand?

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Nice! Is it stamped? 36s? Used to have one just like it, great little Billiard that disappears when clenched.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

simplepipes wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 pm
TM:

-sp
Tom. Ed. Dave. Joe. Mac. All the heavy lifters from the Grabow forum who dug up every bit of minutae they could. And Tom was just astonishing in his ability to vividly recall every last detail of random affairs and day to day operations from any point in time. He could transport you and provide a first person account of all that happens behind the scenes. Just being around that you soak up a good bit of info.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:59 pm
Nice! Is it stamped? 36s? Used to have one just like it, great little Billiard that disappears when clenched.
Yessir! Stamped and lite as a feather.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 pm
simplepipes wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 pm
TM:

-sp
Tom. Ed. Dave. Joe. Mac. All the heavy lifters from the Grabow forum who dug up every bit of minutae they could. And Tom was just astonishing in his ability to vividly recall every last detail of random affairs and day to day operations from any point in time. He could transport you and provide a first person account of all that happens behind the scenes. Just being around that you soak up a good bit of info.
Joe joined a couple of months before me. He has really turned into a Grabow maven. He was the impetus behind the tours and has kept the place running after the tragedies of the last few years.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!