Latest Pipe Purchase 2020

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 pm
simplepipes wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 pm

TM:

I find your knowledge of Dr. Grabow Pipes fascinating.

How did you come to learn so much about the brand?

-sp
Tom. Ed. Dave. Joe. Mac. All the heavy lifters from the Grabow forum who dug up every bit of minutae they could. And Tom was just astonishing in his ability to vividly recall every last detail of random affairs and day to day operations from any point in time. He could transport you and provide a first person account of all that happens behind the scenes. Just being around that you soak up a good bit of info.
Joe joined a couple of months before me. He has really turned into a Grabow maven. He was the impetus behind the tours and has kept the place running after the tragedies of the last few years.
That place has taken a few hits and lost some people along the way but there's always been a core and Joe has certainly pulled his load. Feel bad I don't get there more but between free time being at a premium and the update a couple years ago making it impossible for me to see more than one line of text at a time it's difficult. And not only has Joe become a Maven but if I were to send anything off for posterity it would be to him. Bet he keeps a detailed spreadsheet of everything from pipes in the restore pile to where all the misc. came from. His collection has always been top notch, sure he's added plenty more gems.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ted is awesome ! He scored me a pipe i was looking for for over 10 years ... a Mastercraft Alpha Blue Ridge . He mentioned seeing one in a back room at the factory , dug it out and snagged it .... blew my mind
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Nope, not a purchase, been a good while, year or more. But I just found these in a drawer. They're some of the restoration pile, I'll be running into more but damn if there aren't already some gems in this first group. A Golden Duke shape stamped 67? Where?! How? A Grand Duke Canadian? They never made those... angel hair straight grain square shank Linkman's Hollycourt?! Linkman's Ringmaster Hawkbill Billiard?! Damn! Oooo, fancy Wellington..... I'll be occupied a while...
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Notice how clean the stems of the two Westbrook on the left look but the other next to them shows oxidation? None have been touched, all are as they arrived in my hands. Grabow really did get some great German Vulcanite, if you can find it.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 am Nope, not a purchase, been a good while, year or more. But I just found these in a drawer. They're some of the restoration pile, I'll be running into more but damn if there aren't already some gems in this first group. A Golden Duke shape stamped 67? Where?! How? A Grand Duke Canadian? They never made those... angel hair straight grain square shank Linkman's Hollycourt?! Linkman's Ringmaster Hawkbill Billiard?! Damn! Oooo, fancy Wellington..... I'll be occupied a while...
How do you just find 30 or so pipes in drawer?! You kinda remind me of the guy on PSF who would just find Peterson box sets in his closet. 🤔
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 am Nope, not a purchase, been a good while, year or more. But I just found these in a drawer. They're some of the restoration pile, I'll be running into more but damn if there aren't already some gems in this first group. A Golden Duke shape stamped 67? Where?! How? A Grand Duke Canadian? They never made those... angel hair straight grain square shank Linkman's Hollycourt?! Linkman's Ringmaster Hawkbill Billiard?! Damn! Oooo, fancy Wellington..... I'll be occupied a while...
How do you just find 30 or so pipes in drawer?! You kinda remind me of the guy on PSF who would just find Peterson box sets in his closet. 🤔
I remember that guy! That was weird. Didn't he want to sell them or something? Anyway, yeah.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 am
I remember that guy! That was weird. Didn't he want to sell them or something? Anyway, yeah.
I think he found three different sets spread out over the course of the year and sold them. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I had a smooth Grand Duke 84 (no stamp) about 10 years ago. The draft hole drilling was way off center and kind of low. It got on my nerves so I wound up just giving it to Ed James. He said it didn't bother him!

Hey...see the (I think) Willard "60" next row to the top? Interested in selling that one?
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

What? Wish I could find stuff like that! Nah, these are all flea market/auction/ebay/etc purchases, they add up over years. And I used to play Tetris, you ever need to pack anything up I can help maximize efficient use of space. Should see me load the car....
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am
I had a smooth Grand Duke 84 (no stamp) about 10 years ago. The draft hole drilling was way off center and kind of low. It got on my nerves so I wound up just giving it to Ed James. He said it didn't bother him!

Hey...see the (I think) Willard "60" next row to the top? Interested in selling that one?
You like the Rhodesian? It's in pretty good condition for being a straight stem Willard, that gummy material is usually chewed to hell. Even a nice bowl on it, Grabow let a good block go to them. Just shoot over an address, will get it out next time I make the Post.