Smith & Wesson 686 Plus Deluxe

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Felt like I should own one revolver so bought this one after spending a couple weeks agonizing over this or a new Dan Wesson. This arrived and initially I was really disappointed because in my opinion the finishing is garbage. The finish ranges from milky to brushed to swirl marks so deep they almost burnt the steel. This is fixable yes, but I shouldn't have to refinish a brand new gun, and fer chrissakes a S&W is an heirloom gun to my mind.

Well two trips out shooting with it later and I don't lose sleep over the finishing any more. Wow this gun is a shooter. Normally I set my steels up for handgun at 15 yards because if I'm ever going to shoot someone it's going to be up close and personal, but also because I am not a natural pistol shooter and have to work at it to get results I can live with. This revolver I set the steels up at 35 yards and I hit the 6" plates at will, and hit the 3" plates often enough that it makes me feel like a crackshot.

I wasn't prepared for how much I would enjoy shooting this revolver. It is long, it is flat out huge, it is heavy, and it just hits everything I point it at. Maybe I will get around to spending some time on this gun's finish, but regardless and to my dismay it has become my favorite pistol. I have some G10 grips on the way for it to firmly lock it in hand.

I even thought about getting a revolver to carry and then I saw how big an N frame with a 2" barrel is in real life and laughed. I do think I want a 41 magnum as another range toy just because I think this S&W is such good fun, but range and night stand is the only duty they're going to see with me. I leave this one filled with solid copper hollow points on my dresser :D
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Good choice. I have a 29 6.5 in 44. I seem to hit everything I point at.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Then there's the 19 in .357...They seem to be very accurate too. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I really like Smith & Wesson revolvers! That's a good one for sure.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Bamarick

I've owned a 686+ for a number of years. With it scoped and loaded with my fine crafted cast bullets I'm able to bust clays on a regular basis at 100 yards. It's a fun gun to shoot.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

new grip, not as pretty but functionally way better
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
Tsal
Forum Decorum

sisyphus wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:27 pm new grip, not as pretty but functionally way better
Way cooler than a Python 👍
The Troll Whisperer