Monday Morning at the Range

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Hadn't been shooting for 3 or 4 weeks, so I pulled on my range uniform of comfy jeans, Merrell waterproof shoes, and a Realtree anarak because it was a little windy and nippy. Dropped my son off at school and drove the 60 miles to my range. Fall is coming and half the fields were down already, a testament to how dry it's been here the last couple of months. Shifting into autumn colors and there was a lot of brown, gold and red mixed in with the still predominantly green landscape. SW Iowa is rolling hills dotted with woods. If you've been to Wisconsin or Michigan we're their mirror image. Where they have mostly woods dotted with farmland, we're the opposite.

Very windy today with sun and clear skies. Set up steels at 20, 30 and 40 yards on the pistol range. I used to have a rack and steel plates, but after shooting that for a few months I figured there had to be a better way. The plates and hangers are always getting knocked off the rack, shot up in the case of the hangers, and the occasional complete collapse from the force of the impacts. A couple months ago I gave my complete steel setup to my oldest boy and bought three steel stands that take a 2x4, and I hang a 7x12 1/2" thick silhouette off each one. These get staked in and they don't mind wind or the hottest magnum loads you can throw at them. If 7x12 sounds small with a pistol at 30 or 40 yards, I figure you want to hit someone's/something's vitals, and if you can hit long you will hit short. Aim small miss small.

Took the 41 magnum Blackhawk Bisley and the CZ 75 D out. Shot 100 priceless 9mm rounds through the CZ, and while I'm not very good with it at 40 I can't miss at 20 and 30, which is a good feeling to have about your carry piece.

Put 150 through the Ruger, and I can't miss anything I point at with that one. What a lovely sidearm. You guys know that feeling about how happy you are in every way about a gun, and then knowing you own it and it will always be there for you, and for your son someday and hopefully his son too. Love this Ruger. I forgot to bring a screwdriver to the range with me because I meant to put it on paper to make sure the sights were perfect. Last trip I literally adjusted the rear sights with my thumbnail, because they were off and I had to do something. Well, I must have gotten it pretty close because I didn't have any trouble ringing steels with it, two handed or strong hand.

Next trip I'm taking the Marlin and the Redhawk out for the first time and starting on my 44 magnum brass collection. Just me and some guy with a bolt action at one of the rifle stations today, which is usually what I run into. Monday Morning at the range is my favorite. Image
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine