What Are You Smoking August 2018

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:55 pm I am giving the Silver Duke its first pipe cleaner of the day in preparation for another bowl of Big-n-Burley. I'll be in the office reviewing homily notes for the 6 PM service and answering the phone.
I have to say, I had high expectations for this smoke, and they have been exceeded. The combo of smoking it all day, absentmindedly (mostly) clearing the airway with a used pipe cleaner and maybe the proximity of Mars have all made this an unusually outstanding smoke. Perhaps leaving the pipe in the car during pastoral calls had something to do with it. If the Surgeon General could experience this smoke, he would be recommending pipe smoking as a quality of life thing. Just saying...

I know we are all supposed to be smoking $1000 pipes, cleaning them compulsively and resting them for a week between smokes. It is hard to imagine having a better smoke than this one...
That's impossible father... Your pipe isn't expensive enough and you're smoking run of the mill C&D tobacco. You're delusional :D
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 pm
That's impossible father... Your pipe isn't expensive enough and you're smoking run of the mill C&D tobacco. You're delusional :D
It has been a wonderful delusion at any rate.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Chatham Manor in a Legend 5th Ave
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Big-n-Burley in the Silver Duke pot

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Father Dempsey in a Starfire poker

Just as a data point, I told my wife that I had had some outstanding smokes today.

She: Sweetie, you are just like the dog.
Me: In what way?
She: You know how the dog gets a measured portion of Old Roy, and she thinks it is the best thing she has ever eaten?
Me: It is just the way she is.
She: You are like the dog with your pipe smoking.
Me: Really!

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 pm
It has been a wonderful delusion at any rate.
I'm in the amen-corner regarding how extraordinary the rather ordinary smokes can be. Of course, I'm just a blue-collar piper; nothing expensive to begin with.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Chatham Manor in a Dr Grabow Viscount 45
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

So, after a mind-deadeningly (?) long day, I staggered home to change into shorts, sandals, and a ratty old shirt, and went immediately to the porch to puff away the day's tensions with a pedestrian combo of a 2015 Sav Saint Nicholas billiard loaded up with Low Country Natural Virginia & Burley. It can be a little harsh and bitey if I don't pull gently on it, but sometimes it just fills the bill. Though the nic hits me a bit more with this than the with the codger blends I normally smoke, I'm finding it very satisfying. A cool bottle of water keeps my palate cleansed as I enjoy the muggy summer night. Happy pipes, all! :thumbs:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 pm So, after a mind-deadeningly (?) long day, I staggered home to change into shorts, sandals, and a ratty old shirt, and went immediately to the porch to puff away the day's tensions with a pedestrian combo of a 2015 Sav Saint Nicholas billiard loaded up with Low Country Natural Virginia & Burley. It can be a little harsh and bitey if I don't pull gently on it, but sometimes it just fills the bill. Though the nic hits me a bit more with this than the with the codger blends I normally smoke, I'm finding it very satisfying. A cool bottle of water keeps my palate cleansed as I enjoy the muggy summer night. Happy pipes, all! :thumbs:
I like the Low Country VaBur. Good choice...

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

OJK in a Starfire pot

Old Ted Award - 2017