Hot Weather Smokes

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Being not allowed to smoke indoors, my piping happy place is the porch. However, the weather is hot & humid...and my pipes tend to get a little warm to the touch. I'm planning on working from home today, which means I can spend the day on the porch with pipe firmly clenched in jaw. So, I'm asking all you old-timers;

1. Is there a particular type of pipe that you prefer for hot, humid, outdoors smoking?
2. Is there a particular blend of tobacco that you recommend for the same?

Thanks for your help!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I think you should just pick a pipe you like and a tobacco you like. I'm not much help I guess. :oops:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:30 am I think you should just pick a pipe you like and a tobacco you like. I'm not much help I guess. :oops:
Well, Mr. Keith...I certainly can't argue with ya! :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
CoreyR
Founding Member

For me, hot weather is MM cob weather and the baccy of choice is LBF. Time for something grassy!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

CoreyR wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:53 am For me, hot weather is MM cob weather and the baccy of choice is LBF. Time for something grassy!
I think I'll give that very thing a try just now. Thanks!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I smoke indoors and outdoors. I smoke in the car. I am smoking in my office right now.

Having said all that, I am going to recommend Big-n-Burley in a Grabow, just because that has been working well for me today.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I smoke indoors most of the time, but if I'm going to be smoking outdoors I just choose the tobacco I want to smoke at the time. Some smokers will say that Virginias and Virginia/Perique blends work well in hot weather. To be honest it's a personal thing.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:34 am I smoke indoors and outdoors. I smoke in the car. I am smoking in my office right now.

Having said all that, I am going to recommend Big-n-Burley in a Grabow, just because that has been working well for me today.
For some reason, Reverend, that recommendation doesn't surprise me at all. :lol:
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ray Mackessy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:43 am I smoke indoors most of the time, but if I'm going to be smoking outdoors I just choose the tobacco I want to smoke at the time. Some smokers will say that Virginias and Virginia/Perique blends work well in hot weather. To be honest it's a personal thing.
Thanks, Ray. My pipes tend to be loaded with codger burley blends...I just love the durn things! ;) But today I think I'm going to open with VA's in a cob. I piled into the "tickle trunk" for some stuff that's been cellared for a coupla years. Some of it never tried. Gonna be a day of exploration! :thumbs: I just may get a little actual work done.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:55 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:34 am I smoke indoors and outdoors. I smoke in the car. I am smoking in my office right now.

For some reason, Reverend, that recommendation doesn't surprise me at all. :lol:
If nothing else I am predictable.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017