Your Blend Recipes

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 am
Wildcat wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:58 pm

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back in my shop days I made a " blend " with Lane bulks and a tin of Erinmore Mixture ... it was the Erinmore mixture that set it off ! I would guess any black Cavendish you like with some Erinmore mixture at whatever amount would suit you , would kick ass
I wonder how SP Vanilla BC and EM would be? Hmmmmm...
You guys are lucky, I wish Cavendish tasted good to me. Smells nice enough but always hits the tongue with a dank musty profile. Not many blends I've had with Cavendish in them that were enjoyable and even fewer Cavendish based ones.
It's funny, one if the things I like about straight Black Cavendish, is what you call a musty profile. Reminds me of old books, comics, magazines etc. Like a used bookstore smells, which I can't explain how much I love that smell. Add to that the natural sweetness of the BC and it's very nice.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:42 am
Wildcat wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 pm
I wonder how SP Vanilla BC and EM would be? Hmmmmm...
You guys are lucky, I wish Cavendish tasted good to me. Smells nice enough but always hits the tongue with a dank musty profile. Not many blends I've had with Cavendish in them that were enjoyable and even fewer Cavendish based ones.
It's funny, one if the things I like about straight Black Cavendish, is what you call a musty profile. Reminds me of old books, comics, magazines etc. Like a used bookstore smells, which I can't explain how much I love that smell. Add to that the natural sweetness of the BC and it's very nice.
See I get none of that natural sweetness, just dirty hamper.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:50 pm
Wildcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:42 am

See I get none of that natural sweetness, just dirty hamper.
Dirty Hamper...isn't that a Gawith and Hoggarth blend? :lol: Frank it's weird but now that you mention it, I totally get what you are saying about the BC. I like it to begin with but I'm not real good at picking out flavors but I never forget the smell of a place.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

I don't have any particular mix that I make... When I get to the end of a tin and there's that little bit extra that ain't enough for a pipe, I just dump it into a jar. Mostly PA and random Virginias. The jar right now has quite a bit of Lat as I dumped a bowl or two's worth of C&D's Deacons Downfall into it. Not a bad smoking mix though.
whitebriar

I sorta like Haunted Bookshop and Morleys Best...50/50 more or less..not rocket science..heavier on the Bookshop for my taste..
Eases up the lat in MB and the Bookshop retains its sweetness..
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I get bored easily so I just mixed up 1oz (by weight) Luxury Navy Flake that I stoved with a little less than 1/4oz (by weight) C&D blending latakia. Going to let them make nice for a few days and then give it a whirl
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
slowroll
Founding Member

An oriental I mix is about 30% each McC Yenice Agonya and Smyna #1 with 40% latakia. I love it, but I ration it to myself for obvious reasons. Sometimes I add a little Kentucky dark fired.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Black Cavendish almost always tastes musty to me and there is a thin quality to it when I smoke it. It is hard to explain. I figure it just leaves more for other people. I am glad other people like it. It is just evidence that taste buds are different.

By way of disclaimer, I should note that Pegasus has some unflavored BC in it, and I love that. Who knows?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

"Old Bill's Appalachian Blend"
It's said that an English blend that contains burley is an "American English" and that an English Blend that contains cavendish is a "Scottish Blend", well I guess that'd make my blend a "Scottish American Blend".
I originally set out to create a good English style blend but I wanted to make something that had good body, flavor, aroma and complexity but at the same time be smooth and cool burning and once I'd decided on the ingredients of my creation I realized that it was more of a Scottish mixture than a traditional English and so I decided to make it in honor of my ancestors who came from Scotland and Ireland over 200 years ago and
settled in the Appalachian regions of America. This is a 7 tobacco blend that smokes like a 6 course meal and even offers a little dessert as well.

"Old Bill's Appalachian Blend"
20% Lane Limited Virginia
10% Blending AAA Burley
20% Blending Green River Black Cavendish
10% Blending Latakia
10% Blending Granulated Perique
20% Blending Turkish Ribbon Cut
10% Blending Dark Fired Kentucky

(1) Blend the Burley with the Virginia and drizzle a whiskey or liquor of your choice (optional of course) over the mixture until it's damp (Scotch would be more traditional but I used some Wild Turkey Bourbon),
mix it in well and allow to air dry until it reaches a good smoking moisture level.
(2) Thoroughly blend in the rest of the ingredients, pack the mixture into jars and let it sit in a cool, dark place for about 2 months to "fester". I like to try a bowl after a couple of weeks and again after 1
month to monitor it's progress.

I hope ya'll try my blend made with P&C's fine blending tobaccos,... after 35 years of smoking pipe I'd have to rate this one as one of the top 3 blends that I've ever smoked, guaranteed to make your kilt fly up!
Enjoy!... oldbill
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
slowroll
Founding Member

Oldbill, sounds good. But, For my taste, I'd cut the Cavendish down a lot and up the latakia a lot . O ;)
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created