CHEMICALS , OH MY !!

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ya know how it is on the internet sometimes ... the " Omg , theres chemicals is THOSE blends " .. lol . Yes , yes there is .................. but heres the thing ...

Everything is freaking chemistry . I swear , its true ... really

Take a green bean for example . Whats it made of ... green bean atoms !!! Hell , maybe it is made of green bean atoms .. but maybe not . Heres a 1 paragraph quote from our friends at the American Chemical Society ..... its just a blurb about Flavonol Conjugates and their make up etc ...

" Four varieties of green bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) were analyzed for flavonol composition and content. Two flavonol conjugates, not previously reported in green bean, were found in three of the varieties. These are quercetin 3-O-(2G-β-d-xylopyranosylrutinoside) (1), (1.0−2.0 μg/g of fresh weight) and the corresponding kaempferol analogue (2) (0.3−0.7 μg/g). The major flavonol component in all of the varieties was quercetin 3-O-glucuronopyranoside (3) (3.5−15.1 μg/g) with lesser amounts of quercetin 3-O-rutinoside (4) (0.2−4.3 μg/g) and kaempferol 3-O-glucuronopyranoside (5) (0.5−1.3 μg/g). Kaempferol rutinoside (6) was detected in only one variety (0.8 μg/g). Commercial processing, such as canning, did not result in chemical breakdown of the conjugates, although between 8.8 and 24.4%, depending on the conjugate, was leached into the cooking water. "

so , thats just the tip of the iceberg of the chemistry of a green bean according to ..

Biochemistry Department and Food Biophysics Department, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UA, United Kingdom, and Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, CSL Food Science Laboratory, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UQ, United Kingdom
J. Agric. Food Chem., 1998, 46 (12), pp 4898–4903
DOI: 10.1021/jf980687v
Publication Date (Web): November 25, 1998
Copyright © 1998 American Chemical Society

I noticed the word glucuronopyranoside , which kinda rhymes with pesticide , spermicide and fungicide [ isnt that lovely ]

Wikipedia is kind enough to have a whole lot about Glucuronopyranoside .. here , because you know youre intersted in it ..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucoside

Yes , everything is chemicals .Many of which , if we had a multitude in any " real " amount ..... would kill the living hell out of us . But rational amounts .. no worries

So , if you ever happen upon one who worries of the chemicals in Your tobacco blend .. you can thank them for their concern , which you probably werent interested in , and mention to them the Green Bean , which contains xylopyranosylrutinoside [ holy shit !! ] and a host of other things that you , he or I know absolutely nothing about [ thankfully ] .

Point is ... whatever is in your blend ... dont worry about it . If you worry about it , ya might as well quit smoking a pipe

Thankfully , no one here [ we are a superb lot ] has ventured into the arena of .... theres bad stuff in my pipe tobacco ... or ... I know its not healthy to smoke a pipe etc ....

I just bring it up because I see it rear its head from time to time and its just a drag

I was just bored and figure I'd make a point :D
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Hey Sparky
Founding Member

Well I'm pretty sure I'll never eat another string bean in my life (thank you) :o , but I'll be sure to smoke more tobacco worry free then I had :D
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Hey Sparky wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:05 pm Well I'm pretty sure I'll never eat another string bean in my life (thank you) :o , but I'll be sure to smoke more tobacco worry free then I had :D
Thats the spirit !! Dont eat the veggies but smoke more ... I like it ! :awesome:
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruff, you are kinda like a pipe smoking Jim Morrison: always got something cool and interesting to say but sometimes just a little out there.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 pm Ruff, you are kinda like a pipe smoking Jim Morrison: always got something cool and interesting to say but sometimes just a little out there.
Somebodys got to do it , man :thumbs:
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Better things for better living through chemistry? Like Dupont said?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Bump ... lol ... just in case :lol:
slowroll
Founding Member

Beware. You may generate dihydrogen oxide while smoking.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:24 pm Better things for better living through chemistry? Like Dupont said?
Better Living Through Chemistry

Wasn't that a Laugh In thing?
ever forward
Whalehead King

Ruff, you're into some weird science....

We're all made up chemicals. All of 'em good.

Natural flavors and artificial flavors are both made up of the same chemicals. Natural flavors are more expensive to make because it entails boiling down foods to their base chemical consistencies, while artificial flavors take mixing the components in a lab. New Jersey, of all places, is the artificial flavor capital of the world. Those aren't chemical plants you see when you drive down the NJ turnpike----they are flavor farms.

The Garden State. God bless New Jersey! We are all made of chemicals---chemicals and a soul. The topping of a tobacco blend is its spirit. No harm there. Just transcendent smoking pleasure.