Filters; How do you deal with the tar?

avid

A gurgling pipe is one thing up with which I will not put.
ithway ichwhay I illway otnay utpay

My Sav billiard started gurgling the aro's a while back, not sure why. Puzzling, since the draft hole is a generous width. OTOH, my Sav bulldog doesn't do that...yet.

I have seen others say they were never impressed with the quality of the smoke from a Sav, probably one of the reasons.
insufferable filter guy
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I don't use filters or soft bits. I use a pipe cleaner after every smoke out if habit. I could probably get away with never using one like when I first started smoking pipes, but as Kevin says I like to keep it dry.
The Troll Whisperer
avid

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am I don't use filters or soft bits.
Last I heard you don't use Savinelli's either...
insufferable filter guy
Tsal
Forum Decorum

avid wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am I don't use filters or soft bits.
I don't use Savinelli's either. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

It really depends on the pipe for me. If the pipe isn't designed to accept a filter, I generally don't try to add filtration. I have used the Nording Keystones in unfiltered pipes to some success, but it's been a while since I've even thought about using them. For pipes designed to use a filter, which for me means 6mm, I generally either use a Grabow paper filter cut in half, or a pipe cleaner spiral. I was inspired by the design of the falcon dry rings, and so I started messing around with pipe cleaners in all my filtered pipes(mainly cobs). I figured out that if you make a loose spiral out of a Dill's cleaner(wind it around a nail), it doesn't inhibit the flow but it does wick a lot of funk out of the smoke stream. I always have pipe cleaners around and don't always have filters, so this is pretty convenient.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm It really depends on the pipe for me. If the pipe isn't designed to accept a filter, I generally don't try to add filtration. I have used the Nording Keystones in unfiltered pipes to some success, but it's been a while since I've even thought about using them. For pipes designed to use a filter, which for me means 6mm, I generally either use a Grabow paper filter cut in half, or a pipe cleaner spiral. I was inspired by the design of the falcon dry rings, and so I started messing around with pipe cleaners in all my filtered pipes(mainly cobs). I figured out that if you make a loose spiral out of a Dill's cleaner(wind it around a nail), it doesn't inhibit the flow but it does wick a lot of funk out of the smoke stream. I always have pipe cleaners around and don't always have filters, so this is pretty convenient.

This looks like a pretty good idea...I may give that a try.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

If pipes are filtered, I use filters. If not, I don't. And like the others, swab'em out with a pipe cleaner after. Like some, I avoid softy-bits...I drooled right down my chin when I tried'em. :D No problems with Savs, though. Love'em!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
avid

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 pm
avid wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am
I don't use Savinelli's either. Lol
i said it first... :lol:
insufferable filter guy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am I use a pipe cleaner after every smoke out if habit. I could probably get away with never using one like when I first started smoking pipes...
Some of us are just more parsimonious in the use of them.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am I use a pipe cleaner after every smoke out if habit. I could probably get away with never using one like when I first started smoking pipes...
Some of us are just more parsimonious in the use of them.
As long as your not washing them off and reusing them...lol
I typically can get a few smokes in on one cleaner.
The Troll Whisperer