Early morning discovery

LtPiper

I debated about whether or not I would share this because someone's going to think I'm slow. I enjoy smoking a pipe and have for years. But I have always been someone who smokes later in the day - usually - but never early in the morning. I get up for work around 0430 and am off to work by 0530 or so. I have always been of the opinion that that's way too early to be smoking. Lately I have been dreading going to work and this morning I decided to light up an MM cob with some Sutliff "Taste of Summer" and pair it with a hot cup of black English tea - and I sat at the kitchen table and just enjoyed the heck out of it. I wonder why I have never done this before? I even continued to smoke the pipe on the way to work - I never smoke in my vehicles. I have worked the same job for umpteen years and I think I am now ready for it to be over - the only problem is I am only 50 and would like to stick it out until I am at least 58 - but I am growing tired of it - not work per say - just the job I have. So this morning I really enjoyed the pipe - heck - this may be a new routine that helps me keep my sanity. I thought, "Man, this is going to be a good day!" I started work at 0600 and by 0630 things had gone to heck. But boy - what a start to the day. I can't believe it took me this long to discover this early morning dose of positivity. I think it helped me embrace the chaos.
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I am all about Burley with my morning coffee!
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 pm I am all about Burley with my morning coffee!
Amen to that. Nothing like a bowl full of stout Burley with a cup of black coffee, especially right after eating a hearty breakfast.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I'm an addict . I wake up , make coffee and head to the porch and light up , usually a cob and most always MB GE or SWR . After the shower and more coffee ... out the door and I light up on the way to work . Usually a black Cavendish . After I figure my plan at work ., I light up something and get to it and it's a " work blend " , like a go to MB GE or a black cavendish but something uncomplicated for sure . I repeat it all day . When i get home , i smoke less but i usually get a couple bowls in and i try to make it special with a killer complex blend and pipe ... like a mastro de paja and a vintage blend , but not alwaays
That's my day . Now that you've discovered the am smoking , I'd bet you'll continue and you'll get to a point that if you didn't... it would be weird
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
JBRiner

My morning would not be complete without a good pot of black coffee, and a cob full of some sort of burley. I generally swap to a va/per or English blend in the afternoon.

Glad you found a new morning treat!
Adwyth
9 Iron
Founding Member

I’m sitting outside on the patio in the dark as I write this. It’s 3:30 am, 66 degrees, the world is soft and quiet and pleasant. There’s a light breeze and it’s carrying the smell of sun toasted grasses and tar weed up here from the field below. I have a cup of strong coffee and a bowl of Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme burning in an Icarus apple. This is by far the the best and most relaxing time of the day. In 40 minutes or so I’ll be up getting ready for work and off again into the misery (I have just a few short years to retirement also) but for now, there is just peace, quiet and cool air.

I can’t imagine being a pipe smoker and not having this early morning ritual.
Maynard

Granger every morning is my first bowl every morning at 5am with 8 O Clock coffee.
Wooda
Founding Member

5am is about the only time I get to myself to smoke anymore.
Every blend pairs well with a quart of black coffee.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Anything with a high nicotine content and some coffee. Helps to get my heart started.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

For me it is usually OJK or Picayune when I get up in the morning.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017