Hot Weather Smokes

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic works for me in hot & humid weather
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 pm Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic works for me in hot & humid weather
Well now, Mr. Beardsley, I can go that! SWRA is on o' my favorite smokes of all time...if not the favorite. 8-)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
avid

The weather...always outside (except on a limited basis in the dead of Winter) and have indulged under all conditions, hot, real hot, cold, real cold. Ordinarily will adjust the accompanying beverage, though today I did go out to the garage, 90 deg F, with a mug of coffee, heavily diluted with milk, so it wasn't too hot, broke out of my usual routine filling the Sav bulldog with FMC.

Off the top of my head, cannot think of any particular blend, in my limited experience, to use or avoid, based solely on the weatherman, at least I can't remember any regrets...??!!??
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

avid wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:29 pm The weather...always outside (except on a limited basis in the dead of Winter) and have indulged under all conditions, hot, real hot, cold, real cold. Ordinarily will adjust the accompanying beverage, though today I did go out to the garage, 90 deg F, with a mug of coffee, heavily diluted with milk, so it wasn't too hot, broke out of my usual routine filling the Sav bulldog with FMC.

Off the top of my head, cannot think of any particular blend, in my limited experience, to use or avoid, based solely on the weatherman, at least I can't remember any regrets...??!!??
There have been quite a few recommendations to stick with the bright VA's during the hot, humid weather. Trouble is, I don't really have many bright VAs. But I've been trying what I've got; VA Slices, MM Country Gent, and now the Escudo Navy Deluxe...which I guess is a VAper. They're not bad...but so far they're not doing for me what the burleys do. I guess I just like that nutty burley goodness, particularly in the form of the codger blend OTCs. I've got one more VAper to try; Louisiana Red. Then I think I'll be headed back to codgerville. ;)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
avid

I guess I just like that nutty burley goodness
Same here. I have at least four unopened tins of VaPers that I got when I knew/understood less than I do now. I may open one or two, if nothing good comes of it, I won't bother with the rest.
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Same here. I have at least four unopened tins of VaPers that I got when I knew/understood less than I do now. I may open one or two, if nothing good comes of it, I won't bother with the rest.
[/quote]
I hear ya. Though I do enjoy the occasional light English or traditional American blend in cooler fall weather, burleys are my go-to.
steamboat

I smoke cobs almost exclusively, and especially in hot humid weather. I find Presbyterian a great summer oriental blend, for a change up from the grassy Virginias. Its a blessing that the blend has changed distribution and is usually in stock at this time.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

steamboat wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 pm I smoke cobs almost exclusively, and especially in hot humid weather. I find Presbyterian a great summer oriental blend, for a change up from the grassy Virginias. Its a blessing that the blend has changed distribution and is usually in stock at this time.
I've got some Presbyterian Match jarred up... Maybe I'm give that a try. Thanks for the tip!
Wooda
Founding Member

If I smoke at all in the oppressive heat, it's a Virginia, with ice water in between puffs.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Maynard

I usually smoke outdoors but year around I smoke Granger Velvet or LRR in the morning Then switch to Mixture no 79 late in the day.