Petersons

Joseph

Hello all,
Having just returned to pipe smoking at age of 63 & 2/3rds am smoking a Petersons Standard System 317 which I used to smoke. However, I've noticed towards the bottom of the bowl it smokes a little hot and harsh with some tobacco wasted. Wonder if others find this and if perhaps a Falcon would cure this?
Thanks.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

That sounds like it might be a symptom of a draft hole that is drilled above the bottom of the bowl. Does it look like the draft hole in the bowl is more on the side of the bowl instead of the bottom?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

If the draft hole is a little high, you can "mud" the heel with some cigar ash.That Peterson should be a great pipe to have.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a Falcon however. I think they are great pipes too, and they don't break the bank, especially if you look at estates on Ebay..
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Joseph

houtenziel wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 am That sounds like it might be a symptom of a draft hole that is drilled above the bottom of the bowl. Does it look like the draft hole in the bowl is more on the side of the bowl instead of the bottom?
Yes, it does seem to be slightly above the bottom of the bowl when i check with pipe cleaner. This is not as shown in diagram on Petersons site. Of course this then results in wasted tobacco possibly 10% on this small bowl. May contact Petersons, like the weight, feel and balance.
Joseph

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm If the draft hole is a little high, you can "mud" the heel with some cigar ash.That Peterson should be a great pipe to have.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a Falcon however. I think they are great pipes too, and they don't break the bank, especially if you look at estates on Ebay..
Thanks for the answer. Do think draft hole a little higher than base of bowl. Results in wasted tobacco and cost. Thought of leaving some unburnt in pipe but this would alter the taste of subsequent smokes as would be tarred. Don't smoke cigars, may contact Petersons. Like the weight and balance. Probably still get a bent Falcon.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

You've already received some great advice, so I'm just going to say that I'd choose a Falcon over a Peterson any day. Just my opinion as a Falcon fan. If you haven't already, an MM corn cob would be a wise investment.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Joseph wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 am Yes, it does seem to be slightly above the bottom of the bowl when i check with pipe cleaner. This is not as shown in diagram on Petersons site. Of course this then results in wasted tobacco possibly 10% on this small bowl. May contact Petersons, like the weight, feel and balance.
If you want to prove to yourself that the draft hole is the reason, you could buy some Nording Keystones and throw them in there which would compensate for the high draft. This should allow all the tobacco to burn and should keep it from getting swampy and harsh in the last 1/4 of the bowl. You could then acquire some pipe mud and fix it if you are so inclined... I am sure a member here would gladly donate some cigar ash to the cause.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bullwinkle

Maybe you could just pin a bash Peterson post..
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

:?: I don't think anyone is bashing Peterson. We are trying to help this fella with an issue. Or maybe I am just confused? It's possible, as I haven't yet had the 2nd coffee of the day.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Now, it might be different for a Peterson System pipe, but a guy that knows a "little" about pipes, [mention]ted[/mention], wrote this about draft holes few years ago. It's very interesting and helpful in any case:

"Healer and Dr.B...During my career at Grabow, I made or oversaw the making of over 50 million pipes. On my first day in the office in 1966, Paul Fish, President, gave me a Silver Duke and a Starfire, and I knew I was supposed to learn to smoke them. I did, and probably smoked thousands of pipes during my time.

The Starfire gurgled. Of course, the SD didn't. I asked Mr. Fish, and his answer has stuck with me for 40 years....Here it is paraphrased.

Consumers expect the airhole to be bored "perfectly" into the bottom of the bowl. This "bottom" bore will gurgle, always. An airhole needs to be bored slightly higher than the bowl bottom for a comfortable smoke. Moisture needs to have a place to collect rather than coming back out of the bowl into the shank and stem. The paper filter compensates in many pipes.

This is not what the "sophisticated" pipe smoker wants to hear, but it sure has worked for me. I think that's why the cob is so "gurgle-proof" with or without filter.
Today I (and I'm sure Paul ) will admit that "wet"tobacco has a bearing.

I firmly, and always believe that a correct airhole bore is slightly high. It's so hard to convince the smokers of that, that I've been hesitant to mention it. Start another Civil War probably.

Anyway...My thoughts and remembrances.....ted"
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!