Zippo 'pipe' lighters.

Legion

For years I used a Zippo to light cigs. At first the fuel smell was quite distracting but in time I stopped noticing.
Then when I lost the Zippo & went back to Bics, it seemed that something was missing.

I've noticed that many pipe smokers use a Zippo. A few, including advertisers, use the term a 'Zippo pipe lighter'. From what I can tell it would appear that's a bit like advertising a 'left handed cup'.

Is there actually any difference or is a 'pipe Zippo' just a normal Zippo lighter?
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

A zippo pipe lighter has a cap over the top of the chimney where the flame would usually come out and a fairly large hole on each side of the chimney. I'll get a pic to show the difference
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Here's one regular and one pipe lighter
Legion

Now that makes sense; I thought using a standard Zippo to light a pipe would've been awkward.

Thanks for the pics.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 am Now that makes sense; I thought using a standard Zippo to light a pipe would've been awkward.

Thanks for the pics.
No problem. I have a buddy that uses a regular zippo for his pipes all the time. I use mine with the pipe insert when I know I'm going to be somewhere outdoorsy / breezy because my butane lighters are basically useless in the wind
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 am Now that makes sense; I thought using a standard Zippo to light a pipe would've been awkward.
The standard zippo works better than you might think. I do prefer the pipe lighter insert, but the original design is what everyone used for a long time.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
avid

i much prefer the pipe insert, maybe because I'm just used to it
insufferable filter guy
Whalehead King

I had a pipe Zippo and I liked it. I liked it a lot. I lost it, though, as I often do with things that I only have one of. Don't tell Mrs. King I just said that.

I've used regular Zippos for years and I find them just as good for a pipe as I do for a cigar. A pipe insert is nice but it isn't necessary. I'm not against the pipe insert. I'm in favor. I just don't see much need for it when the regular model works just as well. I'm a hard and hot pipe smoker, always relighting and tamping and relighting and puffing away, and I find the regular Zippo still has a soft enough flame to not deform or char a bowl. As with anything, use judiciously.
Whalehead King

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:15 am Here's one regular and one pipe lighter
That picture is so beautiful that I'm getting all misty-eyed just by looking at it. Zippo make a fine lighter that has stood the test of time.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I also use the pipe insert. It helps keep the flame off the rim of the bowl.
ever forward