Latest Tobacco Purchase 2018

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:20 am
The only Becks that 4noggins has listed is Ol' Limey Bastard.
It's received an average 3.5 out of 4 at TobaccoReview.com.

I'd describe the bouquet as asphalt, burnt rubber tyres with a good dose of butt.
I think we have determined that you are not a fan of latakia.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 am
Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:20 am
The only Becks that 4noggins has listed is Ol' Limey Bastard.
It's received an average 3.5 out of 4 at TobaccoReview.com.

I'd describe the bouquet as asphalt, burnt rubber tyres with a good dose of butt.
I think we have determined that you are not a fan of latakia.
It's a little disturbing that you gleaned that from my description of the aroma, lol.

So that's it then, latakia?
Huh. Well then, it looks like I'm learning what to avoid.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:41 am
It's a little disturbing that you gleaned that from my description of the aroma, lol.

So that's it then, latakia?
Huh. Well then, it looks like I'm learning what to avoid.
Latakia is a spice tobacco that lends a distinctive smokey, campfire quality to a blend. Some people are big fans. Ol' Limey Bastard has it.

People who like it sometimes describe the flavor as "rich smokey" or "woody." People who don't like it describe it a "creosote" or "burning dumpster."

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

Just arrived in the mail; 16oz of Mark Twain.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 pm Just arrived in the mail; 16oz of Mark Twain.
I haven’t heard of that tobacco. How do they describe it?
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:59 pm
Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 pm Just arrived in the mail; 16oz of Mark Twain.
If this is Sutliff Mark Twain, it sounds pretty good.

From TR...

'A new pipe tobacco from A&C Peterson designed with Mark Twain in mind. Made with selected choice tobaccos, this blend has a striking, rich aroma. A wonderful Danish style aromatic, with great taste and no bite.

Notes: Now made by the Sutliff Tobacco Company under their banner as per Smoking Pipes website: "Previously known as an A&C Peterson blend, No.150 Mark Twain now flies under the Sutliff banner. A Danish-style aromatic, this mix of black Cavendish, Burley, and Virginia is known for its creamy aromatic flavors and mild strength, making for an easy smoke and a pleasing room note."'

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:01 pm

From TR...

'A new pipe tobacco from A&C Peterson designed with Mark Twain in mind. Made with selected choice tobaccos, this blend has a striking, rich aroma. A wonderful Danish style aromatic, with great taste and no bite.

Notes: Now made by the Sutliff Tobacco Company under their banner as per Smoking Pipes website: "Previously known as an A&C Peterson blend, No.150 Mark Twain now flies under the Sutliff banner. A Danish-style aromatic, this mix of black Cavendish, Burley, and Virginia is known for its creamy aromatic flavors and mild strength, making for an easy smoke and a pleasing room note."'
I've smoked a bit of that one. It's light but not a bad smoke at all. One of those sleeper blends
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Legion

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:01 pm

From TR...

It's got a lovely aroma that's vaguely familiar from my youth, that I can't quite put my finger on.
Like the Buttered Rum, it's quite moist. I can't remember aromatics being so moist 40 years ago.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I always got kind of a baking spice vibe off of Mark Twain but don't trust my tasters, they're kind of crazy like the rest of me
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Legion

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 pm I always got kind of a baking spice vibe off of Mark Twain but don't trust my tasters, they're kind of crazy like the rest of me
My first impression was an aroma that was vaguely familiar, Plumcake maybe?
Then when I went back for another whiff, I got a different impression, like maybe an Amphora that I once smoked in my youth. I really can't pin it down.

It's interesting reading the differences of impressions & taste in reviews.
Latakia is a good example; some describe as 'woody & spicy' while I think it smells of asphalt, burning tyres & butt, lol.