Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir walter Raleigh Aromatic

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I’m just trying different brands and styles to try stoving.
I’ll do the same with whole leaf eventually to see what I like and don’t like. I did a Balkan and it pretty much made for great smoking tobacco but eliminated a lot of the flavor, I don’t cLL IT A WIN! Lol
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

A coupla more questions;

1. What does "stoving" do to the tobacco?
2. Does the process smell up the kitchen?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:12 pm A coupla more questions;

It is sort of a form of rapid aging for tobacco. The results can be mixed depending on method, time and temperature

I’ve heard it does have a smell that may be off putting. Although i’ve never tried it.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

The house smells wonderful right now, even the wife commented now good it smells.
I’ll probably let these sit for at least a week before trying them.
Well, maybe 1 bowl full later of the mix.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Grab a small mason jar and try it, costs nothing and if you don’t care for it you only wasted a small amount. There’s no certain amount going in a jar so even a pipeful or two would work.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:12 pm A coupla more questions;

1- stoving something like a bright Virginia turns it into a dark Virginia. I've done it to Sutliff 507-c va slices and Stokkebye luxury navy flake with great results. It knocked the bright edges off, especially the LNF and no longer has an ashy taste to me

I always ran 190 degrees for 3-5 hours

2 - depending on the blend and your likes / dislikes I suppose it could. Doing Virginia / VaPer blends that way always smelled great to me.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
kschatey

Sous vide in jar at 300 degrees F for 300 minutes.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

kschatey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:49 pm Sous vide in jar at 300 degrees F for 300 minutes.
I had a neighbor not talk to me for 6 months after insulting his sous vide cookery. That was a nice quiet stretch in my life
kschatey

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:53 pm
kschatey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:49 pm Sous vide in jar at 300 degrees F for 300 minutes.
I had a neighbor not talk to me for 6 months after insulting his sous vide cookery. That was a nice quiet stretch in my life
It has a time and place, but is not a fix all for everything. It just seemed more cost effective for stoving the tobacco. Next time I will bake cookies at the same time in the oven or something. :)
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

kschatey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:56 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:53 pm
It has a time and place, but is not a fix all for everything. It just seemed more cost effective for stoving the tobacco. Next time I will bake cookies at the same time in the oven or something. :)
I've never found the time nor the place but I get it. He decided to bring it out camping and I referred to it as his "bitch boiler" in front of his "friends"