A Note on Tobacco Reviews

ncrobb
Founding Member

I’ll admit that I do scroll through the reviews of a blend sometimes. Like Tsal said I take certain ones seriously based on the writer but I hate that woody, citrus, earthy, hay, leather stuff. Everybody is different so for me sometimes I’m better off just giving it a try. Some stuff I like, some I don’t (check the Trade section in a few mins). Maybe we should start a sample trade thread somehow?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Try Cob

sisyphus wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 am Conventional wisdom says you need to smoke at least two ounces of a tobacco before writing anything about it. While I think there is some merit to that because your opinion changes as you've smoked something over and over again, I also disagree.

I find that with tobacco and cigars both, your palate is never more analytical than when it is unfamiliar with something. You tend to tune out nuances with repeated exposure. The flipside of this is I've been stuck with boxes of cigars I didn't love because I was chasing flavor notes I got from the first couple sticks that I never encountered again. I think pipe tobacco is more consistent and tends to be repeatable under ideal conditions.
emphasis mine

I can understand the two-ounce before making a final assessment when I relate it to my life-long hi-fi preoccupation. Some people love to compare two different speaker pairs instantaneously via AB switching. I prefer to compare by listening to one pair for a few weeks (at least two), then the other. Of course, to get my interest in the first place, they have to be pretty decent. I find virtually all such interests/pastimes/hobbies share this element; one will opine pretty decent, while another says unlistenable.

And we argue about subjectivity/objectivity, as well, of course. Perception is a tricky friend; we don't all hear alike, nor taste, nor smell. I'm so new to trying various tobaccos that I don't totally trust my own perceptions, though I know when I find something I really like it may be one that endures for me - or may not. Another I initially dislike may win me over, with more sampling. And that's how it goes.

I doubt I'll be reviewing a tobacco any time soon. Too little experience. So I'm reading what you guys have to say about tobacco - pipes, too - looking for guidance in this new rabbit-hole into which I have plummeted. Glad you folks are here, and thank you for the kindnesses expressed. I assume there is a subscription membership? Any perks involved with it? You know, like being able to edit or delete one's own posts, and/or access to additional forums I don't yet see?
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Try Cob wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:41 am
I can understand the two-ounce before making a final assessment when I relate it to my life-long hi-fi preoccupation. Some people love to compare two different speaker pairs instantaneously via AB switching. I prefer to compare by listening to one pair for a few weeks (at least two), then the other. Of course, to get my interest in the first place, they have to be pretty decent. I find virtually all such interests/pastimes/hobbies share this element; one will opine pretty decent, while another says unlistenable.
I could have told you more about why I thought Magnepans were magical the first time I sat in front of a properly positioned pair than I could after living with them for a week. With familiarity I could have told you why I'd rather own a less magical set of conventional loudspeakers. Short and long term reviews both have merit IMO.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I read reviews...sometimes. And sometimes find them helpful. Write one? Nah. They'd be too short; "I like this because it tastes good." Or, "I don't like this because it gave me heart palpitations and smells like old socks."
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Whalehead King

There used to be a theory that the more "gym laundry" the tin note, the better the smoke. I don't see it discussed much anymore. I don't have any opinion on it one way or the other. Every blend sings or stumbles on its merits and I don't think there are any measurable rules of thumb. There are too many variables, and, what are the standards? It comes down to personal preference and palate. What's oaky to one person is mossy to another. One man's trash is another man's treasure. There is something for everyone. Nothing replaces the personal research of trial and error.

Most of the time, for me, at least, reading reviews are a waste of time, but, so are a lot of other activities. You're reading this, aren't you? I like to try stuff. Color me adventurous.
Middle Earth

Like fine wine, or whatever
Most, not all, can taste the difference
Even if they cannot wax poetic
You want to smoke the equivalent of Miller Light, it works for millions
Then crack on
I call B.S. on the notion that great and fantastic tobacco blends are not just that

But if it don’t rock your world, I get it
If you look at Tobacco reviews there are some blends that rise above and are distinguished beyond any doubt

You may not like any of these ne plus ultra blends

But as recall there are threads stating rightly that so and so is the VaPer/VaBur/whatever and “the list” is proposed as “the” place to start

That is a thing
I have zero interest in telling other people what to smoke
But let’s keep it real
Try Cob

Christine and I have discovered several of the premium flakes and blends that we really like, and a couple that we considered mixing with something else to make more palatable for us, but she found that approach more alluring than did I because there are many foods I love that I disliked initially, too much music that grew on me, and too many similar episodes opposite - having something I liked initially failing the test of time.

So, we cellared and labeled all the premium tobaccos - I explained to her that aging can make many of them better, based solely on what I've read. As we worked and discussed, we both came to the same conclusion - our rather plebian (maybe, I guess) tastes right now favor Carter Hall and Cheyenne Gold. We be cheap tobacco dates.

Therefore, after jarring up the good stuff, we loaded the small, emptied tins with CH and CG, as well as PA, and H&H, found the perfect sized little carry basket for a few pipes, accessories, and a tin. Grab what we want to smoke, toss it in the basket (from a larger basket kept inside the house) with whichever pipes we want and head for the veranda out front or the back patio. So everything is organized now and the den no longer seems like a tobacconist's lair.

She finally decided that a better, larger pipe does smoke better than the little Amazon nose-warmer that she'd been using, and told me to find her a style that would sit up when set down, like my pokers and Cherrywood. And she wanted it to be an estate pipe in the $50 range. Now, I'd tried to give her my Peterson poker previously but she thought it too pricey, so last night I loaded the dregs from all the flakes and blends(ten of them) that we swept off the dining table after storing into the Chacom and the Peterson for a midnight smoke, handing her the Peterson.

As we smoked, she remarked how much better the Peterson smoked than the nose-warmer, and I said, "It's yours,, honey. I can't find a more elegantly-designed poker pipe than this - it's the most feminine-looking model I've seen thus far at anywhere near your half a C-note. Keep it clean, and it will treat you well."

"I'll keep it clean, but I just want one pipe - I know you said it's better to let a pipe rest between smokes, but I don't care - just one pipe is all I want."

"That's okay. I used a Grabow for many years that was my only pipe, and that didn't destroy it. It's your pipe."

"It is nice, and it does look good, too.. Thank you, baby."

I like that Peterson myself. Down the line, not far, I believe I'll order a black one for me, she has the red. Although, I'm thinking I might like an Aran System (IIRC) that sits up. Probably get both eventually. But I'm glad to have her sorted out with a decent pipe, now. She's very proud and fond of it.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I assume there is a subscription membership? Any perks involved with it? You know, like being able to edit or delete one's own posts, and/or access to additional forums I don't yet see?
Short answer, no. What you see is what you get. Maybe someday.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:26 pm There used to be a theory that the more "gym laundry" the tin note, the better the smoke.

I always called it barnyard. And the more a cigar smelled that way, the better it was!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Try Cob

sisyphus wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:14 am
I could have told you more about why I thought Magnepans were magical the first time I sat in front of a properly positioned pair than I could after living with them for a week. With familiarity I could have told you why I'd rather own a less magical set of conventional loudspeakers. Short and long term reviews both have merit IMO.
You don't have to explain that one to me as I understand because I had the same kind of experience with Maggies and some ML ESLs, too. I can never pull them far enough from the wall due to décor and foot traffic. Levinson-powered Brystons work well for me and all my genres of music. Had K-horns previously, for a year. Monitor Audio silver in bedroom which I enjoy as much as the Brystons, which are 4x pricer.. I've become a Mon Aud fan.

I speak your language, but I'm way OT. Pipe and tobacco go well with good audio, though.