Dear friends and " pipe shop days "

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

A cigar back then that wasnt popular ,nationaly [ I dont think ] but sold real well when I got them was the Canaria D' Oro Robusto . Just thought Id type that down while it was in my head . General cigar carried them . They distributed Macanudo and Partagas . Of those two brands , I carried a few of each

The following contains graphic language of a disturbing nature ....

So , Partagas had a clear glass tubed cigar called the Partagas Humitube . During the cigar boom years , which I hated btw , the Humitube and damn near everything else experienced quarterly wholesale price increases . The humitubes were getting really pricey and sales of it slowed . I gave it the name ... the Part your ass lube a tube because they were so expensive. Sales of it increased for a time
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Cool. Ever miss it?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

mrpipster wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:52 pm Cool. Ever miss it?
Yes but I dont miss the bs of the cigar boom . It was like owning a neighborhood bar without having to throw people out very often , though I did toss a few out over the years but not many ... 3 , I think
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:52 pm

So , Partagas had a clear glass tubed cigar.....
Thank you for the trigger alert. I dislike graphic language of a disturbing nature, even from you, so I didn't read the article. Somebody please summarize so that those of us with delicate eyes don't pass out from the Mayor's salty gutter-mouth prose. Thank you. :geek:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:06 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:52 pm

So , Partagas had a clear glass tubed cigar.....
Thank you for the trigger alert. I dislike graphic language of a disturbing nature, even from you, so I didn't read the article. Somebody please summarize so that those of us with delicate eyes don't pass out from the Mayor's salty gutter-mouth prose. Thank you. :geek:
Basically , cigars got too expensive during that time and ya might as well have bent over an take it . That better ? :D
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 pm The following is an article written by a dear friend , Chuck . You may know Chuck if you read the great pipes and tobacco magazine , as he became editor of it early on . He mentions the pipe shop and my friend Randy Wiley , whom is a killer pipe maker and all around bad ass

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpip ... -the-world

Reading this brought back a flood of memories , mostly damn good ones , and i need to write them down again . I wrote some down at the old psf and I think I saved them before the site died ... however , the computer i saved them to is kinda dead , so ill have to write therm down again . It's getting harder to remember as time passes on

It was the decade of my 30's . 30's is awesome
I guess that you are discounting the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl.
God and Texas!
ironclad

I'd all but forgotten about Hollco Rohr. I bought Petersons, BCs, and GBDs from them both for the shop and for me. I still have and smoke most of them; in fact my Mark Twain, my Sherlock Holmes (including my Deerstalker Jr), and my Irish Seconds are from those days (1993).

Here is an old catalogue from 1988: https://petersonpipenotes.org/wp-conten ... -Pages.pdf
Mischief managed.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ironclad wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 pm I'd all but forgotten about Hollco Rohr. I bought Petersons, BCs, and GBDs from them both for the shop and for me. I still have and smoke most of them; in fact my Mark Twain, my Sherlock Holmes (including my Deerstalker Jr), and my Irish Seconds are from those days (1993).

Here is an old catalogue from 1988: https://petersonpipenotes.org/wp-conten ... -Pages.pdf
Ya know , I think the English Oriental Supreme was under the World Tobac line originally, or at least it was the first Id seen that blend . I have my Pete Emerald Rustic from back then still . The petes then were really nice . Too cool you had a shop too and around the same time . Did you carry the Peter Stokkebye cigars . I think there were three sizes . Super creamy and leathery wrappers .. freakin nice and not too pricey
The Troya cigars back then were stellar too
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:52 pm A cigar back then that wasnt popular ,nationaly [ I dont think ] but sold real well when I got them was the Canaria D' Oro Robusto . Just thought Id type that down while it was in my head . General cigar carried them . They distributed Macanudo and Partagas . Of those two brands , I carried a few of each

So , Partagas had a clear glass tubed cigar called the Partagas Humitube . During the cigar boom years , which I hated btw , the Humitube and damn near everything else experienced quarterly wholesale price increases . The humitubes were getting really pricey and sales of it slowed . I gave it the name ... the Part your ass lube a tube because they were so expensive. Sales of it increased for a time
Canaria D' Oro! I loved 'em. I used to buy a few from a Tinderbox in Florence, Kentucky every time I visited relatives in Erlanger. Last time I was there the kids that were sales people looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for them. They didn;t have the faintest idea what I was talking about. Have not heard of them since until now.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:53 pm
The largerst selling pipe blend was one that I blended that I called Signature . I got so damn lucky on that one , let me tell ya . The cool thing was , being close to Busch Gardens , Id get " out of towners " coming in a bit and I was lucky enough to send the Signature blend overseas even , lol , I swear .
From what I remember , and I dont have my " blend recipe book " because I included it in the sale of the shop , it consisted of Lane BCA , RLP6 , another bulk Lane , Lane BLWB and .... the kicker .... Erinmore Mixture . I dont remember the amounts because I made it in 1 and 5 lb batches , but there was 1 tin of Erinmore Mixture per a pound of the other blends combined . It was a stellar aromatic and if I could reproduce it I would .
I could go on and I will again . But for now ..
Well Mr. Mayor, here's as good as any place to start posting again.

One of my favorite home brews is Erinmore Mixture and Black Cavendish, in roughly a 50/50 blend. The dryer the better, IMO. Reading this, I recalled you telling me once that it was similar to a blend at your shop and now here it is! With your permission, I'm going to call my blend, "Hiz Honor's Signature."
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:53 pm I could go on and I will again . But for now ..
Please do, I dig your stories.
Before I end, this is as good a place as any...

Apologies for my walking away. I was embarrassed and butt hurt. My Irish kicked in and well, some of you know the rest. Anyway I was also upset that I may have gotten @Puff nstuff in hot water. He's a cool cat and a truly upstanding man for sure. Trust me you don't know the half of it. Puff, you sir, are tops. I owe you (can I say that? Just kidding!). I'll be in touch. @Houtenziel you're another good'n. Thanks for everything sir. I'll be in touch. As for my friend @Citizen B, he should be called Citizen A1. This gentleman is the tops and this cat's meow! There's a postcard on my nightstand from B, with one single, solitary sentence written on it. One of the most powerful ever written. Truly. The world would be a better place if everyone could both send and receive such a postcard or note. Thank you friend. You can't imagine. I'm sorry Irish pride got in the way. I'll be in touch. @Ruffinogold Your Honor, you are a prince. Thanks for your encouragement. One day I hope to shoot commie pinkos from your front porch, with you and @Kevin Keith, another gentleman's gentleman. KK, you deserved that No-Prize more than anyone. I hope it is proudly displayed in your home where everyone can... see it??? To others who I'm told were concerned about my whereabouts, but weren't mentioned by name, thank you. To everyone on PSF, I will try my best to obey the rules regulations and ordinances here on PSF. But sadly, I come from a long line of knuckleheads, so don't hold your breath! If you're reading this and don't know what in the world I'm talking about. Good for you, you're not missing anything.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom