Your Favorite Beer

Ronv69
Founding Member

.... in a frosty mug!
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I thought Schafer beer was long gone . Apparently its still being made or its some new stuff and someone bought the name [ ? ] . Schafer had a nice mouth feel .. I liked it quite a bit . jeez , I'd like to have one to try but I havent seen it in decades
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:29 pm I thought Schafer beer was long gone . Apparently its still being made or its some new stuff and someone bought the name [ ? ] . Schafer had a nice mouth feel .. I liked it quite a bit . jeez , I'd like to have one to try but I havent seen it in decades
Something is fishy about this " story " . They say they closed in 76 , which I know cant be right cause I had it at Giants games after 76 for sure . Its possible Im thinking wrong but I kinda doubt it . Maybe theyre talking the original factory ? ... anyway , if you went to a NY Giants game back in the day and had a beer ... you drank Schafer and it was freaking good
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Silver
Certified Codger

From Wikipedia:

As it grew it purchased several regional breweries, including in Albany, New York, Cleveland, Ohio, and Baltimore, Maryland. A $106 million public stock offering was held in 1968, with the F.& M. Schaefer Corporation emerging as a holding company for its production subsidiary, the Schaefer Brewing Company. Pursuing greater efficiency, it built a large, high-output plant in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the Lehigh Valley, which opened in 1972 and resulted in closure of the company's remaining satellite breweries.[2] In 1974 it was expanded from its original 1,100,000 barrels-per-year capacity to 2,500,000 and then, in 1975, it expanded again to 5,000,000 barrels plus.
In 1981 Schaefer was acquired by Stroh Brewing Company which, in turn, was acquired by Pabst Brewing Company in 1999.[7]
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:13 pm From Wikipedia:

As it grew it purchased several regional breweries, including in Albany, New York, Cleveland, Ohio, and Baltimore, Maryland. A $106 million public stock offering was held in 1968, with the F.& M. Schaefer Corporation emerging as a holding company for its production subsidiary, the Schaefer Brewing Company. Pursuing greater efficiency, it built a large, high-output plant in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the Lehigh Valley, which opened in 1972 and resulted in closure of the company's remaining satellite breweries.[2] In 1974 it was expanded from its original 1,100,000 barrels-per-year capacity to 2,500,000 and then, in 1975, it expanded again to 5,000,000 barrels plus.
In 1981 Schaefer was acquired by Stroh Brewing Company which, in turn, was acquired by Pabst Brewing Company in 1999.[7]
I like Schaefer. Schaefer was best very cold. Colder than cold. Low ABV. You could enjoy them without getting schnockered. Pabst stopped production some time ago. Word was they were going to return the brand to the original recipe. From what I know/knew it's available in NYC. Schaefer was a NY beer. Bigger than Budweiser in it's day. The one beer to have when you're having more than one.

This is a pic of the new brew

https://sommbeer.com/beer-news/schaefer ... -the-city/
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I just got some of these, another product from the good folks in Shiner, TX. Weisse N Easy. Low cal, low carb, low ABV (4%) but not thin on flavor. The somehow brew it with Texas grown dewberries and it is refreshing on these hot Texas days. You definitely tasted the dewberries but the wheatiness comes through. Shiner can come up with some pretty crazy beers but this is a good one.

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 am I just got some of these, another product from the good folks in Shiner, TX. Weisse N Easy. Low cal, low carb, low ABV (4%) but not thin on flavor. The somehow brew it with Texas grown dewberries and it is refreshing on these hot Texas days. You definitely tasted the dewberries but the wheatiness comes through. Shiner can come up with some pretty crazy beers but this is a good one.

Have you tried the Strawberry Blonde? Also I great hot weather beer! I wish they had all the Shiners near me. Even just the the light is fantastic.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Piping Abe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 am I just got some of these, another product from the good folks in Shiner, TX. Weisse N Easy. Low cal, low carb, low ABV (4%) but not thin on flavor. The somehow brew it with Texas grown dewberries and it is refreshing on these hot Texas days. You definitely tasted the dewberries but the wheatiness comes through. Shiner can come up with some pretty crazy beers but this is a good one.

Have you tried the Strawberry Blonde? Also I great hot weather beer! I wish they had all the Shiners near me. Even just the the light is fantastic.
Yes, I like the Strawberry Blonde, too. Most stores here carry several Shiner varieties, H-E-B has the largest selection.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:05 am
Piping Abe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 am

Yes, I like the Strawberry Blonde, too. Most stores here carry several Shiner varieties, H-E-B has the largest selection.
HEB is awesome. First time I was ever in one last month when I was in San Antonio for a month. They were giving out free samples of Shiner too!
Puff nstuff

Life is too short to drink crappy beer, and the pricing of mass-marketed beer has been creeping up steadily over the years, so I don't buy it, mostly because I find it flavorless and totally unappealing but also because the craft brewing revolution brought so much good, interesting beer to the shelves. I love beer. If I want something cheap and easy drinking I'll usually opt for something German in a can, like Henninger, which I can find at Trader Joe's or the dollar store for $1 per 16 oz can.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪